Whiskey Maple Onion Jam.
You can have Whiskey Maple Onion Jam using 6 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Whiskey Maple Onion Jam
- You need 2 of purple onions, chopped.
- It’s 1/2 cup of whiskey.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of granulated white sugar.
- You need 1/4 cup of maple syrup.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of white balsamic vinegar.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of coursely ground black pepper.
Whiskey Maple Onion Jam step by step
- Add the onions and 1/4 cup of water to a medium pot and put it on high heat. Boil, stirring occasionally until most of the water is gone. Add a splash of extra virgin olive oil and a couple of pinches of salt..
- Turn the heat down to medium-high and continue cooking until the onions are sticky and the colour of milk chocolate. Be sure to stir frequently to prevent burning. This step will take about 30 minutes..
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the whiskey. Put it back on the heat and allow the whiskey to cook off for 1 or 2 minutes. Sprinkle on the sugar but do not stir. Jiggle the pot if you have to. Do it carefully; being splattered with hot sugar is the worst..
- Let the sugar fully melt, then keep cooking for 5 minutes. Stir in the maple syrup, vinegar, and another couple of pinches of salt and cook for a final 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the pepper. Let it cool before you taste it..