Coconut and Jaggery wheat Modak. Modak are Maharashtrian festive dumplings made of rice flour dough & a sweet coconut jaggery filling. Traditionally these sweet dumplings are In this post I have shown the coconut jaggery filling. Modak is an Indian sweet popular in many parts of India.
Modak is Bhagwan Ganesha's favorite sweet. The most popular variety of modak that is made is Ukadiche modak which is from the Maharashtrian Cuisine. In this post I am sharing two ways of. You can have Coconut and Jaggery wheat Modak using 7 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Coconut and Jaggery wheat Modak
- You need 60 grams of Wheat flour.
- You need 60 grams of rice flour.
- It’s 1 cup of shredded coconut.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of shredded jaggery.
- You need 2 tbsp of ghee.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- It’s 1 tsp of cardamom powder.
Fried modak is made with wheat flour outer covering and coconut, jaggery filling. Deep fried in ghee or oil, it can keep good for few days too. My mom told me this recipe when she was here. I was afraid last year how it would turn out without opening up in oil and if it would spoil the oil.
Coconut and Jaggery wheat Modak instructions
- To make the filling, first pour 1 tbsp of ghee onto a pan and add the coconut. Sauté the desiccated coconut for about a minute..
- Next, add the shredded jaggery to the coconut and sauté for another minute until the jaggery melts and combines well with the shredded coconut.
- Add the cardamom powder and sauté for another minute (The mixture need to be moist and not dry so do not sauté it for a long time). The filling is ready, keep it aside..
- Next, in another pan, bring 1 cup of water to boil.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee and a little bit of salt (if needed).
- Add the wheat flour and the rice flour once the water boils and started bringing it all together with a spatula. It will form a thick dough..
- On medium flame, keep pressing the dough and softening it. If it’s too thick, you can add a little bit of water but not too much as the dough needs to be kneaded later.
- Cover the pan with a lid and leave it for a couple of minutes. Switch off the flame after, and let the dough cool down..
- Once cooled, bring the dough together and knead it until it into a soft round ball..
- Make 10 round balls out of the kneaded dough. Flatten each ball into a circle shape using your fingers. Put the filling inside each flattened dough and try to bring it into the shape as shown in the picture. You can take the help of a fork to get the scoring done on the surface in order to get that design.
Deep Fried Modak with coconut and jaggery filling is a tasty and yummy prasad we make for many auspicious occasions and festivals. I have used maida, we can substitute with whole wheat. Coconut Jaggery filling is the traditional filling made for modak. But we can substitute with Chana Dal Jaggery. Combine the wheat flour and enough water and knead into a soft dough.