Tortellini with a Creamy Tomato Basil Sauce. Cook Cheese and Spinach Tortellini according to package directions. Drain and combine with sauce mixture. Sprinkle with basil and serve with Parmigiano.
Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, basil, bay leaves, sugar and salt and pepper to slow cooker. Once time is up remove bay leaves then blend soup in batches in a blender or with an emulsion blender. Stir in tortellini then cover and cook on high until tortellini have cooked through. You can cook Tortellini with a Creamy Tomato Basil Sauce using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Tortellini with a Creamy Tomato Basil Sauce
- You need 20 oz. of package of tortellini, any flavor you'd like.
- Prepare 3 tbsp. of butter.
- Prepare 1/2 of small yellow onion, diced.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 3 tbsp. of all purpose flour.
- You need 1 cup of milk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream.
- It’s 1 can (14 oz.) of unsalted diced tomatoes, undrained.
- It’s 3 tbsp. of fresh basil, chopped finely (or 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil).
- You need 1/2 tsp. of pepper.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp. of salt.
- You need 1/2 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese (plus more for topping).
Slowly whisk in the milk and heavy cream until smooth. Continue to stir until the sauce begins to simmer. Add the tomatoes, spinach, and basil, and season with salt and pepper. Chopped fresh basil gives the dish a bright, fresh Pour off any fat.
Tortellini with a Creamy Tomato Basil Sauce step by step
- Get a large pot of salted water going over high heat for the tortellini. Once it comes to a boil, stir in the tortellini and cook according to the package directions. Meanwhile, in a seperate pot, get the sauce going..
- In a seperate, medium sized pot, heat the butter over medium heat. Once it's melted, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, so it can start to soften up. Then stir in the garlic and cook an additional 2 or so minutes, stirring often..
- Add the flour and whisk until it is all incorporated with the butter. Let this cook for a minute or so, stirring often..
- Slowly whisk in the milk and cream until it is all added and smoothly incorporated. Increase the heat to med-high, then add the diced tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Let this come to a gentle simmer..
- Once at a simmer, reduce the heat slightly and allow this to simmer for about 5 or so minutes, until it has thickened up. Then remove it from the heat and immediately stir in the parmesan cheese..
- By now, your tortellini should be done and drained. Stir the cooked tortellini into the sauce and stir it all together. That's it! Serve topped with some additional freshly grated parmesan cheese..
Stir the soup, water, tomatoes and tortellini in the skillet and heat to a boil. Cheese tortellini are served in a creamy tomato and spinach sauce. While you get the tortellini going, combine the tomatoes, spinach, salt, pepper, basil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. A touch of cream and a handful of fresh basil make this easy weeknight meal a fan favorite! On our first date, my husband took me to an Italian restaurant that has long since closed its doors.