Coconut Custard Cream Pie.
You can cook Coconut Custard Cream Pie using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Coconut Custard Cream Pie
- It’s of Crust:.
- You need 24 of Graham cracker squares, crushed into crumbs.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of melted butter.
- It’s of Filling:.
- It’s 2 1/4 cups of toasted coconut.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of flour.
- It’s 1/3 cup of sugar.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 2 cups of milk (I used unsweetened coconut milk).
- It’s 4 of egg yolks.
- It’s 1 tsp of vanilla.
- You need 2 tsp of almond extract.
- It’s 1/2 Tbs of butter.
Coconut Custard Cream Pie instructions
- In large sauce pan toast coconut over very low heat, stirring VERY often. Very careful not to burn! Set coconut aside..
- Mix butter and crumbs and press into 9" pie shell and set aside..
- In same sauce pan, add flour, sugar, salt and milk. Separate eggs and put whisked yolks into bowl..
- Cook milk mixture over medium heat, stirring with a whisk until it boils. Cook 1 minute..
- Temper eggs (whisking yolks constantly as you slowly add about half the hot milk mixture).
- Return milk/yolk mixture to sauce pan and bring back to a boil, whisking constantly..
- Turn off heat and add extracts, butter, and just 2 cups of the toasted coconut (save 1/4 cup for garnishing the pie)..
- Mix thoroughly and pour into pie crust, top with remaining toasted coconut..
- Place pie on wire wrack and cool. Chill in fridge 2-4 hours or over night. Serve with whipped cream..
- To make it chocolate, add 4oz dark or semi-sweet chocolate into the flour/milk mixture before cooking. You can also toast some sliced almonds for the filling and/or garnish..