Coconut Layer Cake.
You can have Coconut Layer Cake using 19 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Coconut Layer Cake
- You need of Cake.
- You need 1 1/2 of sticks unsalted butter at room temperature.
- You need 24 oz of unsweetened flaked coconut.
- You need 2 1/4 cup of cake flour.
- Prepare 2 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
- It’s 1/4 cup of virgin coconut oil.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of sugar.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of kosher salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of ground cardamom.
- It’s 3 of large eggs.
- Prepare 1 1/4 cup of buttermilk.
- Prepare of Frosting.
- Prepare 2 cup of sugar.
- It’s 3 tbsp of honey.
- It’s 6 of large egg whites.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of kosher salt + 1/8 tsp..
- It’s 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar + 1/8 tsp..
- You need 12 oz of jar orange marmalade.
Coconut Layer Cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8inch round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper..
- Place 4 cups of the coconut in a blender and pulse until finely ground. Spread the ground coconut on a baking sheet. On a separate baking sheet spread the remaining coconut. Toast both sheets for 7 to 8 minutes stirring occasionally until lightly golden, let cool..
- Into a large bowl sift the cake flour, baking powder and baking soda. In another large bowl using an electric mixer, cream the 1 1/2 sticks of butter with the coconut oil, sugar, salt and cardamom at medium-high speed until light about 3 minutes. Beat in the ground toasted coconut. Beat the 3 eggs, one at a time until incorporated. At low speed beat in the flour mixture and Buttermilk in 3 alternating batches, starting and ending with the flour..
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until the cakes are deep golden and springy. Transfer the cakes out and peel off parchment. Cut each cake in half horizon tally to create 4 layers..
- Frosting: In a large saucepan, boil the sugar, honey and 3/4 cup of water over moderately high heat until the syrup registers 240°F. Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the egg whites at medium speed until foamy, beat in salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. With the mixer on, drizzle the hot syrup down the side of the bowl. Once all the syrup is added, beat the frosting at high speed until shiny and thick (11 minutes). Let cool..
- Set a cake layer cut side up on a plate. Spread one third of the marmalade over the top then spread with 1/2 cup of the frosting, repeat with 2 more cake layers. Top with the last layer. Coat the cake with the remaining frosting. Cover with the toasted coconut..