Sponge cake with pandan coconut pastry cream (Fuji mountain sponge cake). Learn how to make a steamed sponge cake with pandan coconut pastry cream aka Bánh bông lan Phú Sĩ (Mount Fuji sponge cake). ♥Công thức tiếng Việt. Watch my video how to make Mount Fuji sponge cake on the Van's Kitchen Youtube Blog in Vietnamese: Video cách làm bánh bông lan Phú Sĩ. Judging by the name of this cake, you might think it came from Japan.
I still prefer to use earlier basic plain sponge cake recipe but this time made into pandan flavours which using homegrown pandan leaves, so natural green and aromatic! Pandan chiffon cake is rich with Asian flavours of coconut milk and pandan juice. Chiffon cakes have two parts to making the batter. You can have Sponge cake with pandan coconut pastry cream (Fuji mountain sponge cake) using 20 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sponge cake with pandan coconut pastry cream (Fuji mountain sponge cake)
- You need of A, Sponge cake (Lined bottom only for Spring form 22cm-25cm).
- Prepare 5 of egg yolks (65g *5).
- You need 62 g of all purpose flour, sifted.
- You need 62 g of corn starch, sifted.
- You need 62 g of oil (coconut oil is the best).
- You need 1/4 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 38 g of Coconut milk.
- You need 38 g of pandan juice (take 30g of pandan leaves, add some water and squeeze).
- You need 5 of egg white.
- It’s 90 g of sugar.
- It’s 1 g of cream of tarta (COT).
- Prepare of B, Pandan coconut pastry cream.
- It’s 1 of egg (60g).
- Prepare 40 g of powder sugar.
- Prepare 30 g of tapioca starch, sifted.
- Prepare 100 ml of Coconut milk.
- Prepare 150 ml of pandan juice (take 100g of fresh pandan leaves, add some water and squeeze).
- It’s 20 g of unsalted butter.
- You need Pinch of salt.
- You need 100 g of fresh finely shredded coconut.
The meringue which is a stiffly beaten mixture of egg whites with sugar, and often (though not always) stabilised with cream of tartar. The cake is bouncy like a sponge, with the soft and delicate texture resemble cotton when you tear it apart. I also add the cake batter to the dough of the chocolate Japanese milk bread. Here is the result- my delectable bread-cake that I missed so much after the nearby bakery decided to stop producing it.
Sponge cake with pandan coconut pastry cream (Fuji mountain sponge cake) instructions
- Preheat the oven at 150oC..
- For the cake: Mix flour with corn starch, add baking powder and sifted. (1).
- Mix coconut milk with pandan juice. Add egg (one by one). Mix well. Add (1) until combined..
- Beat egg white with cream of tartar until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peak form..
- Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Pour this mixture to the meringue again and whisk quickly. At last, using a spatula to fold up the batter until no more yolk batter can be seen..
- Pour into the pan. Bake at 140oC in 50 minutes. Turn on the oven at 150oC at 10 last minutes. The cake is done when testing with toothpaste comes out clean..
- Remove the cake with the pan from oven and drop them to the table top from a height of about 8 cm. This is to prevent the cake from excessive shrinkage during cooling. Run a spatula round the edge of the warm cake to dislodge it from the mould. Allow the cake to cool down completely..
- For the cream: Whisk the egg with sugar until dissolved. Mix well with the pandan juice and coconut milk. Add sifted tapioca starch. Mix until smooth. Sifted once again..
- Pour the mixture into heavy saucepan set on medium heat. Keep stirring so it doesn’t curdle and scorch on the bottom. Stir until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, turn off the heat. Then stir in the butter, mixing until the butter is completely blended in and the pastry cream becomes smooth. Cool and spread the mixture on the layered cake..
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut..
- Chill and serve..
Pandan chiffon cake is soft, fluffy, moist and fragrant. In this recipe, the addition of coconut milk The fragrance of the cake comes from the extract of pandan leaves which is also known as screw pine Chiffon cake is generally more airy compared to sponge cake. It is also more moist because of the oil. The cake part of pandan kaya cake is quite straightforward. It's a sponge cake made with the separated egg method.