From Scratch Italian Style Chicken Soup.
You can have From Scratch Italian Style Chicken Soup using 18 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of From Scratch Italian Style Chicken Soup
- You need 3 lb of roasted chicken.
- You need 2 tbsp of salt for boiling the roasted chicken.
- It’s 3 tbsp of olive oil, extra virgin.
- It’s 2 small of onions, chopped.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt for reducing the veggies.
- It’s 2 large of celery sticks, coarsely chopped.
- It’s 3 large of carrots, coined.
- It’s 1 1/2 tbsp of granulated garlic.
- You need 1 tbsp of onion powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Italian red pepper flakes.
- Prepare 3/4 tsp of rosemary, ground.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of bay leaf, ground.
- It’s 1 tbsp of ground black pepper.
- You need 6 large of potatoes, diced (optional).
- It’s 1 lb of large cannelini beans, precooked.
- Prepare 1 of handful basil, chopped.
- You need 1 cup of orzo macaroni.
- It’s 1 lb of escarole or rabe, chopped coarsely.
From Scratch Italian Style Chicken Soup step by step
- First, roast the chicken if you have not yet, and remember to remove the giblets first. Giblets can either make a rich gravy in a pan or a nasty surprise in the center of a cooked chicken. Don't let the latter happen to you. 350F, about 2hrs or so, and 165°F minimum internal temperature is required. Roasting first will reduce the amount of grease in your soup..
- If you just cooked it, when the chicken is cool, break it down. If you are using chicken from last night's dinner, break that carcass down. Separate bones and skin from meat, into two piles..
- Set aside the meat, and throw the carcass, skin, etc., into an 8 qt pot of water with 2 tablespoons salt. Bring the pot to boiling, and boil for about 10 or 15 minutes..
- In the meanwhile, in another 8 qt pot, pour in the oil, and the onions, and the salt, and simmer on low for about 2 minutes..
- Add the celery and carrots to the onions and simmer for another 3 minutes..
- Add the seasonings, and let that all marry for another 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally..
- Now, add the cooked cannelini, and, if you choose, add the potatoes..
- Your boiled carcass should be pretty well broken down by the hot water and salt now. Separate the broth from the carcass. Set aside the carcass for the next step, and dump the plain chicken broth into the veggie pot..
- Break down the carcass one last time, tossing whatever meat you can now get into the pot. Toss the bones to the dogs/trash/Tasmanian devil/whatever..
- Crank up the heat to about medium high, and boil the soup until the potatoes are tender..
- Add in your basil, orzo, and greens. So, if you are Italian, you might be used to bitter olives, dandelion, etc. In such a case, you can add the pound of rabe now. It's bitter, and it will add a slightly bitter dimension to the broth. If you aren't into that, then use escarole, which is not nearly so bitter..
- Cook the orzo until tender, and then remove from heat, salt and pepper to taste, and serve. Note, this recipe is pretty low sodium as is, and if you are looking for that canned soup or premade broth flavor, you'll probably need to add a tablespoon or three more of salt to the broth. It really makes you think about your salt intake, doesn't it? Enjoy!.
- (What, no tomato? Nope. I do my chicken and tomato soup differently, but that is for a different day.).