Youtiao/Chinese Fried Long Donuts/Cakwe.
You can cook Youtiao/Chinese Fried Long Donuts/Cakwe by using 8 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is what you need to do to cook that:
Ingredients of Youtiao/Chinese Fried Long Donuts/Cakwe
- It’s of all purpose flour.
- You need of salt.
- It’s of sugar.
- It’s of baking powder.
- It’s of baking soda.
- Prepare of sdt garlic powder.
- You need of water.
- You need of Canola oil as needed to coat the dough.
Youtiao/Chinese Fried Long Donuts/Cakwe step by step
- Mix well the dry ingredients. Pour in the water..
- Knead the dough until it feels soft. Coat the dough with oil..
- Put the dough in a bowl then cover the bowl with plastic wrap..
- Leave the dough in room temperature for 4 to 6 hours or put it in the fridge overnight..
- In the morning, take out the dough and let it sit on the counter (wrapped) for 1 – 2 hours until the dough is back to room temperature and VERY soft to the touch. This step is very important because when the dough is not in room temperature, it won't fry up properly..
- Gently flip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and sprinkle very lightly flour the top side of the dough also..
- Roll out the dough to get about 1/4 in thick (about 4 in wide). Cut the the dough into 1 x 4 in strips (try to cut an even number of strips). Dip a chopstick in the water then press the center of one strip lengthwise. Put another strip on top of it then press the center (lengthwise) with a chopstick..
- Preheat the oil to fry until is very hot over medium heat..
- Hold the two ends of each piece and gently stretch the dough to a 7 to 8-inch long rope..
- Then put it in the hot oil. As soon as the dough floats, roll the dough in a continuous motion for about a minute by using chopsticks or tongs..
- The youtiao is done once they turn light golden brown..
- Repeat step 10, 11, 12 for the remaining dough..