Apple glazed braised Pork belly with fricasse of sweetcorn, lardons and fregola pasta. Red Braised Pork Belly 紅燒肉 is a rich, delicious and tasty dish for you. The pork belly is infused with Chinese sauces and ingredients. This easy to make maple glazed pork belly is unbelievably tender and delicious.
Pork belly may very well be the single best tasting thing on the face of the planet. Braise pork belly (Dong Po Rou) is surprisingly simple to prepare because it only involves six ingredients. You need a few hours of stewing before you can taste the fantastic evening combination of flavor and texture of the meat, which is definitely worth the wait. You can have Apple glazed braised Pork belly with fricasse of sweetcorn, lardons and fregola pasta using 18 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Apple glazed braised Pork belly with fricasse of sweetcorn, lardons and fregola pasta
- You need 1/2 of slab pork belly.
- It’s of Mirepoix (carrot, celery onions)–optional.
- You need Handful of ofHerbs (thyme bay leaves)—-essential.
- It’s 250 g of Fregola pasta (can also use Israeli couscous, orzo pasta or mini macaroni).
- Prepare 2 of big sized corn on cob (or a can or bag or sweet corn).
- It’s of Butter.
- You need 1 of Diced Apple (1cm cubes).
- It’s of Kale (or spinach).
- You need 2 of ltrs Apple juice.
- Prepare 1 stick of cinnamon (optional).
- Prepare 3 of star anise (optional).
- You need 2 tablespoon of honey.
- It’s of Pork jus/sauce (red wine jus or gravy) Making jus is a long process.
- You need 250 g of Bacon lardon/pancetta.
- It’s of Chopped Parsley.
- You need of salt.
- Prepare of black pepper.
- It’s of oil.
Ask for this cut of pork from your. Note: The pork belly and sweet potatoes can be cooked up to this point the day before making the dish. Cool both (remove the pork belly from the Dutch oven) then In a frying pan, fry an egg for each person. On each plate, place several slices of sweet potato.
Apple glazed braised Pork belly with fricasse of sweetcorn, lardons and fregola pasta step by step
- PORK BELLY In a big pan enough to fit the belly, add enough water to cover the belly like three times Add your mirepoix, herbs and season (carrot, onions, celery, thyme, bay leaves etc) Braise pork belly for a minimum of 7hrs on low-med heat to get tender When ready place the belly gently between two-parchment paper and press with weight, Leave to cool in the fridge, should set and harden in few hours. When set portion into about 5cm squares..
- FREGOLA PASTA Cook the pasta in salted water with a drizzle of (olive) oil. When al dente drain and set aside.
- SWEET CORN In a pan with salted water, cook the corn also adding a knob of butter, some thyme and bay leave. When ready cool down one corn and then shave the corn off the husk and set aside. You can avoid this step by using canned or bagged sweet corn..
- SWEETCORN PUREE Shave the other corn whilst hot into a blender with about 50g butter, a pinch of cumin(optional) and a dash of cream(optional). Blend into a wet puree almost like a soup but thicker. If too thick add some water from the boiled corn pan..
- KALE, Blanch a handful of kale in salted water until tender not overcooked.
- APPLE CARAMEL GLAZE In a pan, add the 2 litres of apple juice, two table spoons of honey, a cinnamon stick and three star anise. Let it boil and reduce until it comes to 118 degrees celcius or just when its got a nice creamy consistency.
- THE FRICASSE, in a pan with a drizzle of oil, toss the lardons until cooked, then add the cooked pasta and sweetcorn, season with salt and black pepper then add chopped parsley to finish..
- THE GLAZED PORK, in another pan with a drizzle of oil, brown off the pork belly on all side and the put the oven for about 5 mins at 180 degrees. once out put in another pan with about 2 spoons of the caramel and coat the pork..
- THE PLATING in a bowl spread about 2 tablespoons of the sweetcorn puree. then serve about 2 tablspoons of the fricasse on the puree. The galzed pork belly goes straight on the fricassse with about 4-5 pieces of kale around the pork. place your dice apples on the pork or around it, sauce and serve.
Top with pork belly and a fried egg. This braised pork belly recipe, or "dong po rou" in Chinese, is a beautiful, traditional, and incredibly easy dish to make. Wash the pork belly as a whole piece. Blanch it whole in boiling water for one minute and drain. This process gets rid of any impurities and also allows.