Black dal with naan. Try our black dal recipe with paneer-stuffed naan. This easy dal recipe is an impressive black dahl recipe to serve for an indian feast. Lashings of butter and cream give this dal the X-factor.
It was easier said than done though. Soak the lentils in plenty of cold water overnight. The next day, rinse and drain well. You can cook Black dal with naan using 26 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Black dal with naan
- You need 1 cup of lentils (I used black beluga lentils).
- It’s 2 of whole cloves.
- You need 1 of star anise.
- You need 1 tablespoon of coriander.
- You need 1 tablespoon of cumin.
- You need 1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of garam masala.
- It’s 1/2 tablespoon of cardamom.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of ginger.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare of salt.
- You need 1 of cinnamon stick.
- It’s 1 of onion.
- Prepare 1 of garlic.
- You need 1 of carrot.
- Prepare 200 ml of tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of butter.
- It’s of cilantro, heavy cream and yogurt to garnish.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- It’s of Naan:.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of milk.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of yogurt.
- Prepare 1 cup of regular flour.
- Prepare 1/3 tablespoon of baking powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate.
- It’s 1/4 tablespoon of sugar.
Remove from the oven and stir in the cream and butter. Maa ki dal or kali dal Is made from whole black grams (black dal) or sabut urad dal only. If the dal looks thin, then simmer without the lid, till it reaches the desired consistency. Serve maa ki dal hot with naan, kulcha, rotis or plain boiled rice.
Black dal with naan step by step
- Put the lentils with the carrot in a pot with cold water on a max heated plate. Bring to a hard boil for 10-15 min and volume down the heat. Leave it for another 40min to an hour..
- In a hot skillet toast the cloves, the star anise, the coriander, the cumin, the cayenne pepper, the garam masala and the cardamom for 30sec to a minute. Remove from the skillet..
- I placed the butter and the olive oil in the same skilled and fry the onion for 5min. Add the ginger and the garlic and fry for another 2min. Add the toasted spices (from 2). Add the cinnamon stick, the bay leaf, the tomatoes and some water. Leave for some 10-15min..
- Remove the lentils from the pot and rinse it. Then add it to the skillet. Leave for another 10min on a low heat..
- Move everything to an oven safe pot. I removed the cinnamon stick and whatever I could find from the star anise and the cloves. If you have a clay pot will be great. I used a glass casserole. It needs to be closed(use foil if you need to). Add a glass of water. Heat the oven to 170C and place the lentils for 3-4 hours. Check it hourly so it has enough water..
- Starting the naan. In a big bowl mix the dry ingredients. In a cup mix the milk and the yogurt..
- Add the milk and the yogurt slowly to the bigger bowl to form a dough. Leave for 2 hours..
- Prepare small balls and place them one at time on a dry hot skillet. Leave for a couple of minutes on each side..
- I put some semola on the dry skillet so the dough didn't stick..
- Garnish the dal with a mixture of cream and yogurt and sprinkle with some cilantro. You can add butter and cilantro to the naan if you want. Bon appetit!.
Black Sheep is an infotainment channel which aims to engage an audience of all categories. From Eat Well for Less – an easy, cheap, nutritious dal with naan bread, that's on the table in about half an hour. Meanwhile, for the naan breads, tip the flour, salt and sesame seeds into a large bowl and mix well. Dal makhani is a popular Indian dish made by simmering black lentils in a buttery, creamy, flavorful & spicy masala. It tastes amazing with rice or naan.