Mint dip/Pudina thogayal. Wash the mint leaves and let them dry. Pudina thogayal recipe with step by step pics. You can easily double or triple the recipe.
Mint Thogayal is very common in our house. This pudina thogayal is for rice and is totally different from the pudina chutney which is served as a side Every week I buy a bunch of mint leaves from the market and I prepare either mint pulao or mint chutney for idly, dosa or this thogayal for rice. Pudina Thogayal (Mint Thogayal) very easy to make thogayal variety. You can have Mint dip/Pudina thogayal using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mint dip/Pudina thogayal
- Prepare 1 cup of fresh mint (stalks removed).
- It’s 2 tsp of urad dal.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of hing/asafoetida.
- It’s 5 of Dry red chillies.
- Prepare 2 tsp of oil.
- You need to taste of Salt.
- It’s 1 of grape sized tamarind (without seeds); or 1 tsp tamarind paste.
- You need 1/4 cup of coconut (grated/powder); optional.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of water (optional).
Mint leaves are so healthy and tasty. This Pudina Thogayal is a very delicious thogayal variety. Thogayal are usually thick in consistency than chutney. Also the texture is coarse and not smooth.
Mint dip/Pudina thogayal step by step
- Wash the mint leaves and let them dry. Ensure there are no insects as mint; grown naturally tend to attract worms..
- Add oil to a pan. Toss in urad dal; asafoetida and chillies. Sauté on low heat to the urad dal turns golden brown. Then toss in the mint. Make sure that the heat is low as mint cooks real fast. Add in the coconut if including; at this point. Sauté for 2 minutes more. Then turn off the stove. Let it cool..
- Now in a blender; add the mix from pan, salt, tamarind block and grind well to paste. If it appears to stick; add some water and grind well to paste..
- Thogayal ready! Serve with hot rice or dosa or idli. Or use it to add additional flavor in your Biriyani/Pulao..
Pudina Thogayal is a flavorful and aromatic dip that is made from mint leaves. This always has a special place in the heart of thogayal lovers.! We often make this, especially when we have a bunch of fresh mint leaves. Pudina thogiyal or mint thogaiyal is very common dish at home and one among the recipe which everybody will eat. Switch of the flame and add the mint leaves to this and saute this in the pan heat for few minutes.