Fava Beans and Olives. Fava beans — or broad beans — are green legumes that come in pods. They have a slightly sweet Fava beans are loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein. Vicia faba, also known in the culinary sense as the broad bean, fava bean, or faba bean, is a species of flowering plant in the pea and bean family Fabaceae.
This Mediterranean salad with fresh fava beans, olives, and croutons is a simple and tasty way to enjoy fava beans which happen to be in season for a few months usually starting from April. Like most legumes, fava beans are rich in plant-based protein and dietary fiber and are very low in fat. Ful medames, stewed fava beans, is a staple dish all over the Levant. You can have Fava Beans and Olives using 5 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Fava Beans and Olives
- Prepare 1 cup of prepared* fresh fava beans.
- Prepare 1 cup of green olives.
- You need 1 cup of black olives.
- You need 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic.
Some versions are mild-mannered and comforting. This one, loaded with olive oil, lemon, garlic, cumin, and a kick of chili flakes, is anything but. You're probably heard of fava beans before — whether you're a movie fan, health nut or just familiar with these types of beans — but have you ever eaten them? Also known as broad beans, fava beans are pretty amazing given the amount of nutrition they contain.
Fava Beans and Olives step by step
- ADD 20 minutes to prep if need to prepare fava beans. Directions below..
- Mix all ingredients and add salt and red pepper flakes to taste..
- I like to prepare this dish the day before and let the flavors slowly merge stirring occasionally. If marinating, bring to room temperature and serve..
- *Shell approximately 20 medium beans. (approximately 2 lbs in shell).
- Boil in salted water about one minute and drain..
- Put beans in ice water and drain..
- Slip off husks..
Dried fava beans are prepared much like other dried beans and should be soaked before cooking low and slow in plenty of water. Fava beans have a delicate, buttery and nutty taste with a trace of light bitterness. Many fava fans describe the bean as tasting like spring, with a lightly sweet vegetal flavor. These Simple Marinated Fava Beans (with olive oil, vinegar, garlic, lemon zest, and fresh herbs) are one of my favorite ways to prepare them! Use these on toast or bruschetta, in salads or on cheese boards or Mezze platters!