taisen's almost greek salad. Greek salad or horiatiki salad (Greek: χωριάτικη σαλάτα or θερινή σαλάτα) is a popular salad in Greek cuisine generally made with pieces of tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, feta cheese (usually served as a slice on top of the other ingredients), and olives (typically Kalamata olives) and dressed with salt. This is the 'secret' Greek dressing recipe from the pizzeria that I work at. The recipe makes almost a gallon but can be scaled down easily.
Greek salad, also known as village salad or horiatiki is the national dish of Greece, consisting of quartered tomatoes, sliced red onions, and chunky slices of cucumber. Depending on the region, there can also be olives, green peppers, capers, feta cheese, oregano, salt, pepper, or a typical dressing. Greek salads come in all forms all over the world, some that would hardly be recognized as such by a native Greek. You can cook taisen's almost greek salad using 8 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of taisen's almost greek salad
- You need 1 of lettuce and or romaine lettuce.
- It’s 1 small of to medium red onion.
- It’s 1 can of of pitted black olives or you can use greek pitted olives.
- Prepare 1 of sunflower seeds.
- You need 1 of feta cheese crumbled.
- You need 1 of tomato if you desire. I didn't have any so I skipped that.
- You need 1 of anything else you wish to add in.
- Prepare 1 of any brand of greek dressing.
And Greek salad itself has changed as a result of its journey farther from home. In the United States, you often find lettuce on the plate among the tomatoes and cucumbers, the feta cheese. Greek salad (as I mentioned we could get this everywhere and it never had lettuce as part of the dish, recipe below). Gyros, gyros, and more gyros (pronounced "YEE-ros" and, surprisingly, always with fries inside!).
taisen's almost greek salad step by step
- rinse lettuce and or romaine.
- chop lettuce and romaine up into bite size or larger if you like.
- add them to a big salad bowl.
- peel , rinse and chop onion however you like. add into the bowl.
- open the olives. drain juice. you can either leave them whole or slice in half. add into the bowl.
- take sunflower seeds and sprinkle how much you want into the bowl.
- put the crumbled feta cheese in the bowl..
- you can add anything else you like to the bowl.
- mix if you like or leave as is. you can also cover this and put in the fridge for later or serve now..
- serve this in separate bowls and pour some dressing in. mux and eat. enjoy with any meal.
Moussaka (I realize this is a traditional Greek dish, but I'd honestly never heard of it before. Greek Salad or Horiatiki Salad is an easy, delicious and versatile salad that is perfect with a lot of main dishes. Seriously, I make this salad almost everyday and it goes perfectly with dishes like spicy biryani, cheesy lasagne, and spinach chicken curry (yum!), grilled chicken, and basically everything. Greek salad is simple to make and filled with some of our all time favorite ingredients. Cucumbers, tomato, onion, olives and feta come together for Greek salad is one of the quickest, simplest salads you can make and we love it for it.