Traditional Harira Soup.
You can have Traditional Harira Soup using 18 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Traditional Harira Soup
- Prepare 300 g of lamb, cubed.
- You need 150 g of green lentils.
- Prepare 150 g of chickpeas.
- It’s 1 of onion, chopped finely.
- You need 150 g of celery, chopped finely.
- You need 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, diluted with a little bit of water.
- You need 400 g of tomato juice.
- Prepare 100 g of flour.
- Prepare 1 of vermicelli, handful.
- Prepare 1 of bunch of coriander, chopped finely.
- Prepare 1 of bunch parsley, chopped finely.
- It’s 3 of lemons, cut into wedges.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of oil.
- You need 1 tablespoons of turmeric.
- It’s 1 of saffron threads.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of cumin.
- You need of black pepper to taste.
- It’s of salt to taste.
Traditional Harira Soup step by step
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan and add in the meat, turmeric, saffron, coriander, parsley, onion and celery. Season with salt and stir..
- Add in a cup of water and stir over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes..
- Pour 2 liters of boiled water over the meat mixture and add in the lentils and chickpeas. Simmer covered over low heat for about 50 minutes..
- Then add in the tomato juice, tomato paste and cumin and cook for another 20 minutes..
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix the flour with half a liter of cold water. Whisk well to prevent the formation of lumps and strain..
- Pour the flour and water mixture over the soup and mix slowly to prevent lumps..
- Finally, add in the vermicelli and stir constantly for about 5 to 10 minutes. By then you should have a thick soup..
- To serve, squeeze the lemon over the harira soup..