Baked Ziti. Baked Ziti – classic Italian American comfort food of pasta baked with sausage, tomato sauce and all kinds of gooey, yummy cheeses. Baked Ziti is so much more than just a Bolognese pasta bake…. It's a big, juicy baked pasta that's loaded with flavour from a healthy dose of seasonings and topped with a generous amount of cheese.
Lasagna and baked ziti share a lot of the same ingredients, but I find that baked ziti is a lot easier to throw together and serve. The best recipe for baked ziti casserole. Baked Ziti is an easy weeknight pasta dish! You can have Baked Ziti using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Baked Ziti
- Prepare 1 lb of Hot or sweet Italian turkey sausage.
- You need 1 of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 3 clove of sliced garlic.
- Prepare 28 oz of plain diced tomatoes.
- It’s 15 oz of tomato sauce.
- Prepare 2 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- You need 14 1/2 oz of basil and oregano diced tomatoes.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried basil leaves or half cup fresh basil chopped.
- You need 16 oz of Ziti.
- It’s 8 oz of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- It’s 1 packages of sliced provolone.
- You need 1/4 cup of grated parmesan or romano cheese.
Tender ziti noodles, a zesty meat sauce and delicious creamy ricotta are layered in a casserole dish, topped with cheese and baked until bubbly. Baked ziti is a simple casserole made with a zesty meat sauce, tender pasta, creamy ricotta, and mozzarella cheese. Typically, the pasta is cooked separately while the meat sauce is being prepared. This Baked Ziti is a classic Italian-American comfort food!
Baked Ziti instructions
- Preheat the oven to 375. Crumble the sausage into a 3 quart saucepan. Cook for 8 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain the fat..
- In another pot, add the onion and saute for about 4 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the plain tomatoes with their juice. Stir in the sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the sausage, seasoned tomatoes, and the basil..
- Boil the Ziti, drain, then return to the pot. Coat the Ziti in just enough sauce to coat it. Layer half of the Ziti in a 13 by 9 pan. Top with the provolone overlapping the slices as needed. Add the rest of the Ziti, then the mozzarella cheese. Pour the last of the sauce over the top and sprinkle with parmesan and romano cheese. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until bubbly around the edges and lightly brown. Let it cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!.
- Optional: save some of the mozzarella as a topping and add extra seasonings on top before placing it in the oven..
It's easy to make, perfect for a weeknight meal or a special occasion. Tender pieces of ziti noodles, delicious meat sauce. This baked ziti recipe is layers of pasta with meat sauce and three types of cheese, all cooked together to golden brown perfection. A hearty dinner option that's perfect for feeding a crowd! A saucy, cheesy Baked Ziti Recipe!