Corfu's meat and pasta dish (pastitsada). Sauté the onions in half of the oil, till soft. Home » Corfu Travel Blog » Corfiot Cuisine » Pastitsada Recipe: Corfu`s Top Traditional Dish. Here is the original authentic recipe with the ingredients serving, with the known process, after straining if you like you may burn the pasta in another utensil with butter.
We're still collecting the most relevant info. Pastitsada (Greek: Παστιτσάδα) is a Greek dish consisting of pasta topped with meat braised in a spicy tomato-based sauce. Often associated with the island of Corfu, where it is a traditional Sunday dinner, it is sometimes called pastitsada Korfiatiki. You can cook Corfu's meat and pasta dish (pastitsada) using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Corfu's meat and pasta dish (pastitsada)
- Prepare 800 g of veal or beef, cubed.
- Prepare 2 of onions, chopped.
- You need 1 tsp of paprika.
- You need 4 cloves of .
- Prepare 4 of pimentos.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of oil.
- You need 1 cup of crushed tomatoes.
- It’s 2 cups of water.
- You need of salt.
- You need of pepper.
- Prepare of perciatelli/ bucatini.
- It’s of grated kefalotiri or parmesan cheese.
Here's an absolutely fantastic dish called pastitsada. This video will show you how to make a traditional Greek pastitsada recipe from the island of Corfu aka Kerkyra. This very easy Greek pasta recipe uses a few very common ingredients and is simple to prepare. The sauce should be thick; reduce it if it is not.
Corfu's meat and pasta dish (pastitsada) step by step
- Sauté the onions in half of the oil, till soft..
- Add the meat, and brown well for 4-5 minutes over high temperature..
- Add the cloves, pimento, bay leaves, paprika, pepper and lastly, the salt. Lower the heat, and add the rest of the oil, the tomato, and the water. Let simmer gently for 1 hour..
- In the meantime, boil the pasta according to packet instructions..
- Serve the pasta together with the meat sauce and sprinkle grated cheese generously over it..
Remove and discard the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and cloves (if you can find them). Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, salt abundantly and add the pasta. Drain when soft and pour into a deep serving bowl or platter. Pastitsada, one of the signature dishes of Corfu, is not just another stew with tomatoes and a few spices, but an elaborate ritual. For those who are not familiar with it, this flaming red dish derives its colour from the healthy amount of hot paprika added to the meat even before any tomatoes are.