Awesome cheesy baked ziti. Baked Ziti – classic Italian American comfort food of pasta baked with sausage, tomato sauce Ziti is a pretty common pasta shape in most areas, but you can substitute penne pasta if you can't find it. awesome dish, as good as lasagna in half the time and a great kick with the red peppers …. wonderful! Not only is this cheesy baked ziti super easy to make AND crazy delicious, but it can be made ahead of time and frozen. Time to stock the freezer with cheesy pasta casseroles!
Baked ziti is one of those super easy recipes the whole family will love. Ziti is cooked, then tossed with spaghetti sauce, ricotta and mozzarella cheeses. With a robustly flavored homemade tomato sauce (made with Italian sausage), ricotta and melty, bubbly mozzarella cheese, this is comfort food at its finest! You can have Awesome cheesy baked ziti using 12 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Awesome cheesy baked ziti
- It’s 1 box of ziti or penne noodles.
- It’s 1 lb of sour cream.
- You need 1 lb of ground beef.
- You need 2 can of jar spaghetti sauce.
- It’s 6 oz of shredded mozzarella.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of shredded parmesan cheese.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Italian seasoning.
- Prepare of fresh ground pepper.
- You need 2 tbsp of balsamic or red wine vinegar.
- You need 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- It’s 16 of each sliced provolone cheese.
Ziti in a creamy tomato sauce with lots of cheese is baked in individual serving dishes for this gourmet weeknight meal. It was perfectly cheesy and creamy. I used the Roasted Garlic Marinara by Barilla and OMG- that sauce is fantastic! I definitely found my go to store bought sauce!
Awesome cheesy baked ziti instructions
- Line a 9 x 13 (or larger) casserole pan with Reynolds casserole liner foil/paper. If you don't have this make sure to coat pan with cooking spray..
- Boil pasta until al dente, drain and set aside..
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef..
- Add chopped onions to the ground beef and saute until the onions are translucent..
- Drain beef mixture in a colander, set aside..
- Add 2 jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce, beef mixture and 2 tablespoons of vinegar to the skillet. Set aside..
- In medium mixing bowl stir together the sour cream, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, Italian seasoning, ground pepper and 1tsp garlic powder..
- Drizzle a small amount add the spaghetti sauce mixture in the bottom of the lined pan to keep pasta from sticking..
- Place half the pasta in the pan..
- Layer half of the sauce mixture on top of the pasta..
- Lay eight slices of provolone cheese to cover the sauce mixture..
- Soon half the sour cream/cheese mixture over the provolone and spread out..
- Layer the last of the noodles, then sauce mixture, then 8 slices of provolone and last of the sour cream/cheese mixture..
- Bake in a 350° pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted..
Place the ziti in a large bowl. Mix with the ricotta and half of the mozzarella. Sprinkle with Parmesan and the remaining mozzarella. I decided to switch things up for dinner last night and have an Italian night. This Baked Ziti Recipe has been in the family for years.