Pastitsio (Greek Pasta Bake).
You can have Pastitsio (Greek Pasta Bake) using 18 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Pastitsio (Greek Pasta Bake)
- You need 2 lb of ground beef or lamb.
- Prepare 1 large of onion – diced.
- Prepare 2 clove of garlic – minced.
- You need 1 cup of tomato sauce (approx 1 – 8 oz can).
- It’s 1/2 cup of dry red wine – I use shiraz.
- You need 1 can of petite diced tomatoes (14.5 oz can).
- It’s 1 tbsp of parsley.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tsp of cinnamon.
- You need 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.
- You need 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- Prepare 1 lb of pasta – macaroni or ziti.
- It’s 4 of eggs – divided.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese – divided.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick).
- You need 1 cup of ap flour.
- Prepare 3 cup of milk.
Pastitsio (Greek Pasta Bake) instructions
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease/spray a 13×9 baking dish..
- In a large skillet – brown ground beef and onion. Drain. Add garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes..
- Add in tomato sauce, wine, can of undrained diced tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste – adjust seasoning if desired..
- While meat is simmering – cook pasta. Do not overcook – pasta should be just shy of al dente..
- Drain pasta. Return pasta to pot and mix in olive oil, 2 beaten eggs and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese..
- Now start the bechamel/white sauce. In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add in flour and whisk until it's a smooth paste. Cook for a minute or two but do not brown..
- Slowly add in milk and cook for a few minutes, whisking constantly, until sauce thickens..
- Remove from heat. Season to taste with salt, pepper & a bit of nutmeg. Mix in 2 beaten eggs & remaining 1 cup of parmesan cheese. This will be a very thick sauce – if it's too thick to work with you can add a bit more milk..
- Assembly time : ) Spread half of the pasta mixture evenly on the bottom of the casserole dish – make sure bottom is completely covered..
- Evenly spread the entire meat mixture over bottom pasta layer..
- Top meat with remaining pasta..
- Pour the bechamel/sauce on top of noodles. With a spoon spread sauce making sure to get edges and corners. Sauce should be nearly to top of casserole dish – you may have a little leftover..
- Bake for 45 minutes – top will be golden brown. Let rest for 20 minutes before cutting. Enjoy : ).