Chocolate Peppermint Slice and Bake Cookies. How to make Peppermint Chocolate Slice and Bake Cookies. First, you'll make your chocolate peppermint dough. This recipe adapted from Mint Chocolate Slice-and-Bake Cookies from the Sally's Cookie Addiction cookbook. (This is an affiliate link.) Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or use silicone baking mats.
Lay out three pieces parchment paper. Lay a third of the cookie dough on the edge of a piece of paper, roll up tightly and shape into a log. Tender, buttery shortbread cookies flecked with peppermint baking chips and dipped in chocolate. You can cook Chocolate Peppermint Slice and Bake Cookies using 10 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chocolate Peppermint Slice and Bake Cookies
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, + extra for hands & work surface.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of unsweetened natural cocoa powder.
- It’s 1/4 tsp. of salt.
- It’s 3/4 cup of unsalted butter, softened to room temperature.
- It’s 3/4 cup of granulated sugar.
- It’s 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
- You need 1 of large egg, at room temperature.
- You need 1 tsp. of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of peppermint extract.
- Prepare 1 (4 oz.) of baking bar semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped.
These peppermint shortbread cookies are a holiday favorite! This is a easy recipe to make (it takes minutes to mix up the dough) and even easier to bake. Just slice and place on the sheet! Chewy double chocolate cookies with mint in the batter and on top with a sprinkling of crushed candy cane.
Chocolate Peppermint Slice and Bake Cookies step by step
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set this aside..
- In a separate large bowl, either using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on med-high speed until smooth and creamy, about a minute or two. Then beat in the sugar until fluffy and combined. Beat in the egg, vanilla and peppermint extract. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed..
- Switch the mixer to low speed and add in the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Then flour your hands and a work surface lightly. Turn out the dough onto the floured surface and seperate the dough into two even amounts..
- Roll the dough into two seperate logs, roughly 8 inches in length and about 2 1/2 in in diameter. Wrap each log tightly in plastic wrap and place them in the fridge for at least 4 hours and up to 5 days. You could also freeze the dough logs at this point, for up to 3 months. To thaw, place them in the fridge overnight, then continue on with the baking process from there..
- When you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a couple of large baking trays with either parchment paper or silicone baking mats..
- Working one at a time, unwrap the dough log and slice into equally sized cookies. You should get about 11-12 per log..
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart from each other. Bake for 11-13 minutes. Allow them to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely..
- Once cooled, melt the 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate according to its packages directions and drizzle over the top of each cookie. Allow the chocolate to set completely (about 30 or so minutes) before storing them..
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week..
Perfect for cookie exchanges, holiday However, it doesn't lack that perfect cookie texture, or luscious chocolate peppermint flavor one bit. Ask my coworkers who literally downed the whole. The peppermint candies that get pressed into the dough give these slice and bake sweets a festive look but they're not your only option. When I bake similar hershey kiss cookies, I find it helps to flash freeze the candy before topping the. Brushing these pinwheel cookies with melted chocolate and sprinkling them with crushed peppermint candies means these cookies are extra festive After the cookies are baked and cooled, simply brush the bottoms of the cookies with some melted white or dark chocolate and then sprinkle on.