3 Cheese Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese. This guilt-free mac and cheese gives you all the comfort of the classic dish, but with an extra heaping of nutrients. Made with whole-wheat noodles, three cheeses (Gruyere, cheddar and Parmesan), shallots, and lots of good-for-your-body butternut squash… it's cozy, creamy AND nourishing! I decided to make a lighter Butternut Squash Mac 'n Cheeze.
This Butternut Squash Mac 'N Cheese is the perfect solution! Well, let me tell you, this Butternut Squash Mac 'N Cheese right here is the perfect compromise! If you don't tell them, I'm sure no one will ever guess that this thing is not only loaded with butternut squash but that it also contains a very. You can have 3 Cheese Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese using 18 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of 3 Cheese Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- You need 1 of medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups).
- You need 2 tsp of olive oil.
- It’s 2 1/2 cup of dry macaroni or other pasta of choice (I used Italian Cavatappi or "corkscrew pasta").
- Prepare of For the Sauce.
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of all purpose flour.
- You need 2 1/2 cup of milk.
- You need 1 tbsp of dijon mustard.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/2 tsp of white pepper.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper (optional for a kick!).
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of freshly grated nutmeg (or ground nutmeg is fine).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh thyme leaves(or dried is fine).
- It’s 1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese, grated.
- Prepare 1 cup of Smoked Gouda, grated.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Gruyere cheese, grated.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs.
This recipe for butternut squash macaroni and cheese is a quick, great way to incorporate a fall vegetable into a comfort-food favorite. Reviews for: Photos of Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese. This decadent, gooey mac and cheese is packed with flavor. No one will guess it's made with butternut squash and way healthier than you'd expect!
3 Cheese Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 °..
- Toss squash with olive oil and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, turning halfway through until squash is tender..
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions. Usually about 5-7 minutes until al dente depending on the pasta you choose. Drain pasta and set aside..
- In a large pot over medium high heat, melt butter. Whisk in the flour. Your flour mixture at this point will be thick, lumpy and dry..
- Slowly whisk in the milk a little at a time. Add the dijon mustard and spices. Constantly stir until the flour mixture comes to a boil about 5-7 minutes and thickens..
- Add in cheeses, squash and pasta. Stir just enough to coat and cheese is slightly melted..
- Pour your mac & cheese into an oven proof baking dish. Top with panko breadcrumbs and bake for 20 minutes. If you want, you can just put the mac & cheese under the broiler too for about 2-3 minutes to toast the panko breadcrumbs on top and be done with it. I like to bake mine a little longer until all the cheeses are very melty through the whole dish..
You can eat huge portions of this and not feel weighed down and lethargic afterward, so it's basically the best of both worlds! I have a thing for butternut squash mac and cheese, mostly because I have a thing for secretly healthy things that don't seem healthy. In case you didn't notice by the longest blog title ever, there is a ton of good stuff in this mac and cheese, because sometimes I just need to add in everything. This vegan mac and "cheese" uses butternut squash as a substitute for cheese. Nutritional yeast also helps it feel more cheesy.