Legendary Pub Mac and Cheese.
You can cook Legendary Pub Mac and Cheese using 15 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Legendary Pub Mac and Cheese
- It’s of the main stuff.
- It’s 16 oz of cavatappi, cooked.
- It’s 1 package of low sodium bacon (optional – depending on how legendary you want your Mac and Cheese).
- You need 6 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- It’s 1/3 cup of all purpose flour.
- You need 3 cups of whole milk.
- It’s 1 cup of heavy whipping cream.
- It’s 4 cups of sharp cheddar cheese shredded (shred it yourself, don't buy shredded cheeses! Come on people!).
- Prepare 2 cups of Gruyere cheese shredded (shred it yourself, don't buy shredded cheeses! Come on people!).
- It’s to taste of salt and pepper.
- It’s of that crunch tho.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of panko crumbs.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of butter melted.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese shredded (shred it yourself, don't buy shredded cheeses! Come on people!).
- You need 1/4 tsp of hot paprika.
Legendary Pub Mac and Cheese step by step
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a large 3 qt or 4 qt baking dish and set aside. Combine shredded cheeses (NOT THE PARMESAN) in a large bowl and set aside..
- Cook bacon in a separate pan and boil pasta one minute shy of al dente according to the package instructions..
- Add bacon to plate with paper towel to absorb extra grease (Floppy/Crispy – doesn't matter.. whatever your preference is). Remove pasta from heat and drain. Set aside to cool while preparing cheese sauce..
- Melt unsalted butter in a deep pot..
- Whisk in flour over medium heat and continue whisking for about 1 minute until bubbly and golden..
- Gradually whisk in the milk and heavy cream until nice and smooth. Continue whisking until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking and whisking for another 2 minutes..
- Whisk in salt and pepper..
- Add two cups of shredded cheese and whisk until smooth. Add another two cups of shredded cheese and continue whisking until creamy and smooth. Add the remaining two cups of shredded cheese and "KEEEEEP WHISKIIIIIING!" (#alternativeursula) Sauce should be nice and thick..
- Stir in the cooled pasta until combined and pasta is fully coated with the cheese sauce. Chop bacon into little bits and combine into the cheesy goodness..
- Pour the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish..
- In a small bowl, combine panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, melted butter and paprika and sprinkle over the top. (PRO TIP: add a little bit of fat sea salt crystals on top to give it that savory surprise, like that of a pretzel you'd order at that one downtown brewery) and bake the whole thing until bubbly and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve IMMEDIATELY. (To yourself, let's be honest).