3 Cheese Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese. I decided to make a lighter Butternut Squash Mac 'n Cheeze. But of course, I wasn't so sure if it would work. I figured there was a good chance I'd be eating bad mac 'n cheese for a week straight while Eric ate cereal for dinner.
If you don't tell them, I'm sure no one will ever guess that this thing is not only loaded with butternut squash but that it also contains a very. This recipe for butternut squash macaroni and cheese is a quick, great way to incorporate a fall vegetable into a comfort-food favorite. Reviews for: Photos of Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese. You can cook 3 Cheese Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese using 18 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of 3 Cheese Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- You need 1 of medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups).
- Prepare 2 tsp of olive oil.
- You need 2 1/2 cup of dry macaroni or other pasta of choice (I used Italian Cavatappi or "corkscrew pasta").
- It’s of For the Sauce.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of butter.
- You need 1/4 cup of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 2 1/2 cup of milk.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of dijon mustard.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/2 tsp of white pepper.
- You need 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper (optional for a kick!).
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of garlic powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of freshly grated nutmeg (or ground nutmeg is fine).
- You need 1 tbsp of fresh thyme leaves(or dried is fine).
- It’s 1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese, grated.
- It’s 1 cup of Smoked Gouda, grated.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Gruyere cheese, grated.
- It’s 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs.
This decadent, gooey mac and cheese is packed with flavor. No one will guess it's made with butternut squash and way healthier than you'd expect! You can eat huge portions of this and not feel weighed down and lethargic afterward, so it's basically the best of both worlds! Holy moly of mac and cheeses.
3 Cheese Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 °..
- Toss squash with olive oil and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, turning halfway through until squash is tender..
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions. Usually about 5-7 minutes until al dente depending on the pasta you choose. Drain pasta and set aside..
- In a large pot over medium high heat, melt butter. Whisk in the flour. Your flour mixture at this point will be thick, lumpy and dry..
- Slowly whisk in the milk a little at a time. Add the dijon mustard and spices. Constantly stir until the flour mixture comes to a boil about 5-7 minutes and thickens..
- Add in cheeses, squash and pasta. Stir just enough to coat and cheese is slightly melted..
- Pour your mac & cheese into an oven proof baking dish. Top with panko breadcrumbs and bake for 20 minutes. If you want, you can just put the mac & cheese under the broiler too for about 2-3 minutes to toast the panko breadcrumbs on top and be done with it. I like to bake mine a little longer until all the cheeses are very melty through the whole dish..
This is seriously one to make throughout the entire year. You can swap out the butternut squash for sweet potato or pumpkin puree so you can have the trifecta of. The key to creamy, butternut squash mac and cheese is to cook the squash directly in the milk. Cooking cubed squash in whole milk makes the cheese sauce prettier, eliminates extra dishes, and adds sweetness that perfectly balances the tang of both the cheddar and Parmesan cheeses added. This Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese is a lighter take on the classic recipe with a large serving of vegetables.