Chorizo Mac n Cheese. (As if regular mac and cheese wasn't good enough, hah!) Aye aye aye, this turned out great! Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring constantly and. Yes, I made mac and cheese but it's definitely not your ordinary mac and cheese.
Find the store closest to you. Chorizo mac and cheese is a fun spin on the classic mac and cheese. The spiciness of the chorizo mixed in with the creamy cheese is pasta perfection! You can cook Chorizo Mac n Cheese using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chorizo Mac n Cheese
- Prepare 3.25 Cups of milk or water.
- You need 1 pound of pasta of choice (I use a mixture of Penne and Rotini).
- Prepare 5 tablespoons (75 g) of unsalted butter, divided.
- You need 4 teaspoons (20 g) of sodium citrate.
- Prepare 1 1/4 pounds (567 g) of grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- You need 4 ounces of grated Gouda cheese.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of hot sauce, such as Frank's RedHot.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) of mustard powder.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon (1 g) of garlic powder.
- It’s 1/2 pound (225 g) of grated Gruyère cheese.
- Prepare 4-5 of fresh Chorizo sausage links.
- It’s 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs.
- Prepare 1/2 Cup of grated Parmigiana Reggiano.
I had halves of everything because of recipe development for the cookbook so this chorizo mac and cheese worked out perfectly that the serving. Divide the mac 'n' cheese between serving bowls. Warm the crispy chorizo in the microwave for a few seconds, if you like, then scatter over the pasta. Baked macaroni and cheese is elevated to special status with the addition of crumbled chorizo and diced tomatoes.
Chorizo Mac n Cheese instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium pot of salted boiling water, cook elbow macaroni until just shy of al dente, about 2 minutes less than cooking time indicated on package. Drain, then transfer pasta to a large mixing bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons (30g) butter until butter is melted and pasta is evenly coated. Set aside..
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups (720ml) water or milk to a simmer. Whisk in sodium citrate until fully dissolved. While maintaining a gentle simmer, add Cheddar and Gouda cheeses in small increments, using an immersion blender to incorporate it completely into the sauce before the next addition. When all the cheese is added and the sauce is smooth and glossy, blend in hot sauce, mustard powder, and garlic powder. Season with salt, if necessary..
- Cook Chorizo sausage links on grill, broiler or pan, until skin is crispy. Slice cooked sausage into small slivers and add to cheese sauce, mixing in evenly..
- Scrape cheese sauce into pasta and mix until evenly coated. Let cool slightly, then add grated Gruyère and mix well. Scrape pasta into a 9- by 13-inch baking dish and smooth surface into an even layer..
- Add panko to a small mixing bowl. Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter, then add to panko and mix until evenly coated. Add grated Parmesan to Panko and mix evenly. Season with salt, if so desired). Scatter panko mixture all over surface of mac and cheese in an even layer. Bake on top rack of oven until browned and bubbling, about 20 minutes (ovens can vary; check often to prevent top from burning)..
- Let mac and cheese rest 15 minutes, then serve. Leftover mac and cheese can be refrigerated for up to 5 days; it reheats surprisingly well in the microwave or oven..
Stir together bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and melted butter in small bowl. My mother was a bit of a rebel with her macaroni and cheese in that she didn't believe in making a roux. When my brother and I were kids, we didn't like any "stuff" in our mac n' cheese. These days, I like a little more substance. Try this microwave mac 'n' cheese.