Baked Ziti. Baked Ziti – classic Italian American comfort food of pasta baked with sausage, tomato sauce and all kinds of gooey, yummy cheeses. Baked Ziti is so much more than just a Bolognese pasta bake…. It's a big, juicy baked pasta that's loaded with flavour from a healthy dose of seasonings and topped with a generous amount of cheese.
Baked Ziti Is Lasagna's Chill, Laid-Back Cousin. Lasagna and baked ziti share a lot of the same ingredients, but I find that baked ziti is a lot easier to throw together and serve. This Baked Ziti is a classic Italian-American comfort food! You can cook Baked Ziti using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Baked Ziti
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- You need 1/2 of yellow onion, diced.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 lb. of ground beef.
- You need 1 lb. of ziti noodles.
- You need 1 can (28 oz.) of unsalted crushed tomatoes.
- It’s 1 can (14.5 oz.) of unsalted diced tomatoes.
- It’s 1 can (8 oz.) of unsalted tomato sauce.
- You need 2 tsp. of each sugar, dried basil.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of each salt, Italian seasoning.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of dried oregano.
- You need 1 container (15 oz.) of ricotta cheese.
- You need 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided.
- You need 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese.
It's easy to make, perfect for a weeknight meal or a special occasion. Tender pieces of ziti noodles, delicious meat sauce. This baked ziti recipe is layers of pasta with meat sauce and three types of cheese, all cooked together to golden brown perfection. A hearty dinner option that's perfect for feeding a crowd!
Baked Ziti instructions
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over med-low heat. Once its hot, add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent. Then stir in the garlic and cook another 2 or so minutes, until fragrant. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink, breaking it apart as you cook. Drain out any excess fat, if needed..
- Add all of the canned tomatoes, seasonings and sugar. Once it comes to a simmer, reduce the heat down to low, then let it simmer lightly for 15 or so minutes, while you cook the pasta..
- In a seperate large pot, heat up salted water over high heat. Once it comes to a boil, cook the pasta according to the package directions, then drain it, toss lightly with a splash of olive oil and return it to the empty pot. Toss the ricotta cheese with the hot pasta. Then stir in all but about a cup or so of the sauce and toss it all together..
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13" baking pan. Spread half of the pasta mixture out into the pan. Then sprinkle half the mozzarella and parmesan cheese over the top of it. Top with the remaining pasta, then spread the remaining sauce evenly over the top, especially around the edges. Top with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese..
- Bake uncovered for 30 or so minutes, until heated through and the cheese over the top has started to brown. Serve immediately and enjoy!.
A saucy, cheesy Baked Ziti Recipe! With a robustly flavored homemade tomato sauce (made with Italian sausage), ricotta and melty, bubbly mozzarella cheese, this is comfort food at its finest. Baked ziti is a simple casserole made with a zesty meat sauce, tender pasta, creamy ricotta, and mozzarella cheese. Typically, the pasta is cooked separately while the meat sauce is being prepared. Baked Ziti is a classic baked pasta dish.