Baked Ziti – Tuscan Flavored.
You can cook Baked Ziti – Tuscan Flavored using 15 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Baked Ziti – Tuscan Flavored
- It’s 1 of eggplant (peeled, sliced 1/2”).
- You need 1 of zucchini (sliced 1/2”).
- Prepare 4 of plum tomatoes (sliced in half – lengthwise).
- Prepare 1/2 of red onion (halved – lengthwise).
- You need of Drizzle of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 lb. of Italian sausage (mild or hot).
- You need 1 can (5.75 oz) of whole, pitted black olives (sliced in half).
- It’s 1 jar of roasted red bell peppers (chopped).
- Prepare of Drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- It’s 1 box (16 oz) of Pasta – Penne or Ziti.
- You need 1 of large jar (32oz) or more, tomato sauce.
- You need Dash of red pepper flakes.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of fresh basil (chopped).
- You need 16 oz of fresh shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of fresh flat leaf parsley (chopped).
Baked Ziti – Tuscan Flavored instructions
- Heat grill to medium temperature..
- Place the first four prepared vegetables on a platter for grilling. Drizzle all the vegetables lightly with olive oil. [A bit heavier with the eggplant].
- Place the slices on the grill (oil side down) and reduce the grill temp to low – medium. Brush olive oil on the tops. Grill for 7 minutes, then 5 minutes on the other side. [Keep tomatoes to a lower temp side of the grill].
- Remove the vegetables to a platter, but leave the onion to grill a bit more. Place the sausage(s) on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side. Remove the sausage and onion to a plate and let cool..
- On a cutting board, slice the grilled vegetables into bite-sized portions. Place them into a large bowl. Add the black olives and roasted red bell peppers. Drizzle the bowl ingredients with balsamic vinegar..
- On a cutting board, slice the sausage into 1/2” slices. Place these pieces on a plate..
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions for a slightly al dente firmness. Drain the pasta (do not rinse) and drizzle with olive oil while mixing..
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees..
- Take a very large lasagna pan (or deep dish pan) and coat the bottom of the pan with a bit of the tomato sauce. Add the pasta and then the vegetables and spread evenly. Place the sausage pieces on top..
- Spread the rest of the tomato sauce on top and add a dash of red pepper flakes (lightly) to areas of the sauce. Top the sauce with fresh basil and now the cheese. Place the pan in the heated oven..
- Bake covered (aluminum foil) for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes to brown the cheese. Remove the pan and allow it to cool for 15 minutes. Top with parsley..
- Use a large serving spoon or spatula to serve. Enjoy with toasted garlic bread and northern Italian red wine..