Turkish Red Cabbage Salad. Recipe for my go-to red cabbage side salad that goes with virtually any meal. The secret is to slice the cabbage thinly, and to massage it with a bit of salt. Red cabbage is one of the most beautiful vegetables I know.
How do you like the look of that? Doesn't it look fresh, healthy and just plain appetising? I find that this salad goes down well with friends and family alike. You can cook Turkish Red Cabbage Salad by using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is what you need to do to make it:
Ingredients of Turkish Red Cabbage Salad
- It’s of For the salad:.
- Prepare 1/2 of small red cabbage, cored and very finely sliced.
- You need 1 of large tomato, chopped into small cubes.
- You need 1/4 of cucumber, a couple of strips shaved with a veg peeler, then quartered lengthways and thinly sliced.
- It’s 1 of small carrot, coarsley grated.
- It’s 1 of small red onion, peeled, halved and finely sliced.
- You need 1 of small bunch parsley, half finely chopped and the other half roughly chopped.
- You need of For the dressing:.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 2-3 tbsp of red wine vinegar (add 2, then taste to see if it needs a little more.
- It’s of Juice of 1 lemon.
- It’s 1 tbsp of pomegranate molasses.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried mint.
- Prepare of Good pinch of salt.
- It’s 1 of heaped tsp sumac.
It's great with fish and meat dishes too. Cook the bacon in a frying pan until crispy. We had a lovely red cabbage from our Sunrise Farm CSA, flat-leaf parsley from the farmers market, and a really luscious bottle of extra-virgin olive oil to get us started. The Chicken Bastila is sexy and delicious, but this humble little salad was the star of our dinner.
Turkish Red Cabbage Salad instructions
- In a small jug, stir all the dressing ingredients together (except for the sumac) and leave to one side..
- In a large bowl or plate, pile up the sliced red cabbage and using your hands, mix in some of the finely chopped parsley..
- In a separate bowl, gently mix together the carrot, tomatoes, onion and cucumber. Then add this to the top of the red cabbage pile..
- Pour over the dressing (mainly around the red cabbage) and a little over the top. Refrigerate for an hour before serving..
- To serve, sprinkle the salad with the sumac and the roughly chopped parsley..
- Add some additional cucumber slices and lemon quarters for decoration (optional)..
This red cabbage salad is an attractive, colorful combination of ingredients. Thinly sliced apples, dried cranberries, and optional toasted pecans add delightful flavor and texture to the cabbage. If you don't have dried cranberries on hand, raisins or currants may be substituted. Translation for 'red cabbage salad' in the free English-Turkish dictionary and many other Turkish translations. This red cabbage salad is a colourful variation on a classic coleslaw.