Old Fashioned Mac & Cheese.
You can have Old Fashioned Mac & Cheese using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Old Fashioned Mac & Cheese
- Prepare 1 of Salt.
- You need 1 of Ground pepper.
- You need 1 of Nutmeg.
- You need 1 of Garlic powder.
- It’s 1 lb of Cavatappi.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 1/2 lb of Monterey Jack cheese.
- It’s 1 cup of Italian bread crumbs.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of Lukewarm Whole Milk.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Butter.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Flour.
Old Fashioned Mac & Cheese instructions
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Butter a 3 quart baking dish and set aside. Cook the pasta and set aside..
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Stir constantly for 2 minutes..
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly whisk in the milk to avoid clumping. Add the nutmeg, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste (I do very little nutmeg and a few pinches of garlic)..
- Put the pan back on the heat and bring the sauce to a boil while stirring constantly. Bring the flame to low and let the sauce simmer for 4 minutes. Stir occasionally..
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and mix in the cheeses. Fold the pasta over itself to mix the cheese. I add 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs here for flavor..
- Transfer the pasta to the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining breadcrumbs over the pasta..
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pasta I'd golden brown on top..