Mama's Mac and Cheese. A creamy cheese sauce tops pasta in this homemade, kid-pleasing baked macaroni and cheese recipe sprinkled with breadcrumbs. To the milk mixture add the Cheddar and American cheeses; stir until cheese melts. We will be in CT for Thanksgiving.
I have had so many readers asking for Mama's recipe! This is one of two ways I make. Mama's Mac & Cheese recipe: Classic, cheesy (but not gooey) mac and cheese! You can cook Mama's Mac and Cheese using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Mama's Mac and Cheese
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of red onion, chopped.
- It’s 1 tbsp of garlic, chopped.
- It’s 1/2 lb of butter.
- Prepare 2 1/2 cup of flour.
- Prepare 1 quart of whole milk.
- It’s 3 1/2 cup of yellow sharp cheddar, shredded.
- You need 1 cup of white cheddar, shredded.
- It’s 1 lb of macaroni noodles (cavatappi).
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of black pepper.
Finish the top with a layer of cheese. This whole food plant-based riff on mac and cheese tastes better than the traditional version. Velvety, savory, oh-so-satisfying – the secret is our Mama's Mac Sauce (yummy vegan alfredo) and soft brown rice noodles. This super creamy Mac & cheese is can be served for a quick lunch, but also at a fancy dinner.
Mama's Mac and Cheese step by step
- Melt butter in a saucepan and add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook the onion and garlic for about 5-7 minutes until tender..
- Add flour and whisk until all the lumps have disappeared. Cook this mixture for about 4-5 minutes. Make sure to constantly stir so it does not scorch..
- Add salt, pepper, and the milk to the roux (flour and butter) while whisking. Whisk until smooth..
- Add the yellow cheddar. Cook until all cheese has melted. Add the cooked macaroni..
- Place the mac and cheese in an oven-safe serving dish and top with the shredded white cheddar. Cook in the oven (325˚) until the cheese has melted and the edges have browned..
Bonus: all made in one pot! Easy recipes for dinner, lunch, breakfast, snacks, and dessert! I used to think that Mac and Cheese could have no part in a healthy lifestyle! Okay, I know, the original home style Mac and Cheese that is full of cream, butter and tons of cheese – but can you really reinvent this old classic, cut out the cream, butter, and cheese, and still get the same. It's nearly the universal comfort food, and there are SO many variations!