Best Victorian Tea Cakes.
You can cook Best Victorian Tea Cakes using 18 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Best Victorian Tea Cakes
- It’s 3/4 Cup of shortening (Crisco Butter Flavor is great!!).
- It’s 1 Cup of sugar.
- Prepare 1 of large egg.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract.
- You need 2 1/4 C of flour.
- You need 1/2 C of buttermilk (will describe how to make your own below, super easy).
- Prepare of Buttermilk.
- It’s 1/2 cup of milk.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of white vinegar.
- Prepare of Optional Glaze.
- Prepare 3 C of confectioners sugar.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of (and maybe a touch more) milk..you want a loose but not watery mixture.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of lemon extract.
Best Victorian Tea Cakes instructions
- Buttermilk: For this recipe, use 1/2 C of either 2% or whole milk and add 2 teaspoons of white vinegar..stir well and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth, beat in the egg.
- At this point it's better to add the spices so they mix well…so add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, vanilla and lemon extract and mix well.
- Now add half the buttermilk, mix in, then add the remaining buttermilk.
- Now mix in the flour 1 cup at a time for a smooth dough…the dough will be light and fluffy.
- Using the scoop, place the cakes 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet (dough will spread).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 3 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to a rack or plate to cool completely.
- Let the cakes cool to touch before glazing -also glazing is optional, these are great without the glaze too!.
- Enjoy! ❤️❤️.