Roasted heirloom tomato sauce. Pour the sauce into the prepared sterilized jars leaving a ¼" space and screw the lids on. Tap the jars on the counter top to get rid of air pockets and wipe clean with a damp cloth. Be the first to review this recipe.
As good as heirloom tomatoes are fresh off the vine, roasting them concentrates their flavor and brings out their subtle sweetness. In a large baking dish, arrange the tomatoes, shallots and garlic in a single layer. Drizzle the vegetables evenly with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. You can cook Roasted heirloom tomato sauce using 7 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Roasted heirloom tomato sauce
- It’s 3 lbs of heirloom tomatoes cut in halve and cored.
- It’s .75 oz of package fresh basil, stems removed.
- You need 1 of medium banana shallot quartered.
- Prepare 6 of garlic cloves sliced in half.
- You need Tbsp of fennel seed.
- Prepare of Evo.
- It’s of Sugar, salt and Italian seasoning.
You just have to try this roasted tomato pizza sauce made with garden-grown heirloom tomatoes. Roasting the garlic and tomatoes fresh from the garden sweetens up the couldn't-be-more-fresh flavor and means there is no need to slave over your sauce to reduce it and build flavor. Recipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen. This homemade Roasted Tomato Sauce just tastes so much better than the store-bought stuff and freezes great!
Roasted heirloom tomato sauce instructions
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Drizzle evo on the baking sheet and add the tomatoes cut side down. Sprinkle the garlic and shallots and roast at 400 for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes season the entire sheet pan to taste with salt, sugar, Italian and fennel seed and add the basil leaves and roast for another 10 minutes. When seasoning I usually just dust the entire pan..
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Peel the skins but keep them on the baking sheet and put the tomatoes in a deep bowl. Season the tomatoes with a couple tsps of salt. Using your hands, crush very thoroughly then taste for seasoning..
- Add the garlic, skins, shallots, basil and residual juices from the pan into a food processor for about 10 seconds, add to the mason jar.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes into the mason jar and shake vigorously, store in the fridge..
Let's see how many of your favorite I have it in the oven right now, made with an early batch of heirloom tomatoes — it smells absolutely amazing! I'm just a little concerned about that the. This is a modified version of my Instagram story on making Roasted Heirloom Tomato Soup. Check out my blog post for more info. www.shedforthewed.com/journal. This roasted tomato sauce is a nice change from commercial jarred sauces.