Stewed Calamari in Tomato Sauce.
You can cook Stewed Calamari in Tomato Sauce using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Stewed Calamari in Tomato Sauce
- Prepare 2-4 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 of large chopped onion.
- It’s 1-2 cups of carrots, cut into quarter inch slices.
- Prepare 2-3 cloves of garlic.
- You need 6 oz of no salt tomato paste.
- It’s 1 cup of low/no sodium chicken/vegetable broth.
- Prepare 28 oz of can of crushed tomato.
- You need 1-2 pounds of cleaned squid; sliced into rings and tentacles roughly chopped.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fennel seed.
- You need 1 tbsp of black peppercorn.
- You need 2-3 tsp of dried oregano.
- Prepare 2-3 tsp of dried basil.
- You need 2-3 tsp of parsley flakes.
- You need Pinch of crushed red pepper; or more.
Stewed Calamari in Tomato Sauce step by step
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over a medium high heat, then add the onions to saute. Cook the onions until they start to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Once the onions start to color, add the carrots. Let the carrots cook for about another 5 minutes..
- After that, add the garlic and tomato paste. Let it cook together with onions and carrots; about 3 minutes..
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot. Increase the heat to high, then let it boil down to about half..
- After you add the broth, grind the fennel seeds, black peppercorn, dried oregano, dried basil, parsley flakes and crushed red pepper. Let it grind for about 5-10 seconds, until it is at the consistency you like. Once done, add to the pot and stir..
- Add the crushed tomatoes, reduce the heat to medium and let simmer for about 5 minutes..
- Slowly stir the squid into pot. Once again, reduce the heat to medium low or low. Let the squid simmer in the sauce for about an hour. Stir every 15-20 minutes as it simmers. After an hour, test the squid to make sure it is tender. If not tender, check on it every 15-20 minutes, until done..