French onion soup. Stay warm with this GREAT French onion soup! With beef stock base, slow-cooked caramelized onions, French bread, gruyere and Parmesan cheese. French onion soup (French: soupe à l'oignon [sup a lɔɲɔ̃]) is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served gratinéed with croutons or a larger piece of bread covered with.
Our French onion soup is deliciously rich and easy to make at home. This savoury soup is perfect for using up a garden glut and great for dinner parties. Look, French Onion Soup a challenging soup to eat: chunks of chewy cheese and soggy bread floating on top.but it's supposed to be that way. You can cook French onion soup using 9 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of French onion soup
- It’s 4 of onions.
- It’s 1 tbsp of minced garlic.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 4 oz of sherry wine.
- Prepare 1 gallon of chicken and or beef stock.
- You need 1 loaf of Italian bread.
- It’s 2 cup of mozzarella.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of browning sauce (gravy master).
- Prepare 1 of salt, pepper ,onion and garlic powder to taste.
I often suggest additions or subtractions to a recipe. French Onion Soup is easier than you think to make at home so you can cuddle up with a big bowl Just the name "French Onion Soup" blankets me in warmth – and has me drooling. A French Onion Soup recipe we heard you say!? No problem, French Guy Cooking to the rescue.
French onion soup step by step
- thinly slice onions.
- heat oil in a large sauce pot.
- Carmelize onion on medium high heat until dark brown.*this should take about 10 minutes.
- add minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- add the sherry wine slowly and reduce for 2 minutes.
- add the stock and bring to a boil.
- add the browning sauce.
- reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 min.
- season with salt ,pepper, onion and garlic powder to taste.
- meanwhile slice the loaf of bread and toast.
- when the soup is done serve in a bowl with a slice of bread with the cheese over the top and melted in the oven.
- **if you like your soup with a little more body make a corn starch slurry and add about 5 minutes before done**.
Sweet onions, melted cheese and finished with a gnarly top. French Onion Soup is essentially caramelised onion in soup form topped with cheesy bread. French Onion Soup is probably one of the most epic soups in this whole wide world. French onion soup is a bistro classic, the most homey and delicious example of good café cooking. But only a handful of frugal ingredients make up this restaurant favorite.