Flavors of the South : Kerala Style Chicken Tomato Roast.
You can have Flavors of the South : Kerala Style Chicken Tomato Roast using 18 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Flavors of the South : Kerala Style Chicken Tomato Roast
- You need 1/2 kg of Chicken.
- You need of Ingredients for Marination.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of Turmeric powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Red Chili/Kashmiri Chili powder.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Vinegar.
- You need to taste of Salt,.
- It’s of Ingredients for Masala.
- You need 3 of Large size Big Onion; finely sliced.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of Each of Ginger & Garlic paste.
- Prepare 2 1/2 teaspoons of Coriander powder.
- Prepare 1 1/2-2 teaspoons of Kashmiri Chili powder.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Garam masala.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Fennel powder.
- Prepare 2 of Large Tomatoes; finely sliced.
- It’s 3/4-1 cup of Thick Coconut Milk.
- It’s Leaves of Curry.
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
- It’s of Coconut oil or any Refined oil (refer notes).
Flavors of the South : Kerala Style Chicken Tomato Roast instructions
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces and make deep gashes in them.
- Marinate the cleaned chicken with ingredients listed under “Ingredients for Marination” and keep in the refrigerator for half an hour(overnight marination provides best results).
- Shallow fry the marinated chicken pieces till it becomes golden brown on either side the chicken is half cooked (refer notes) Remove the chicken pieces from the pan.
- To the same pan, add the sliced onions a pinch of salt.
- Cook till onions turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or till raw smell disappears.
- Throw in the coriander, red chilli, garam masala fennel powders and fry for a few minutes till masala is cooked through.
- Add sliced tomatoes curry leaves along with enough salt and mix well.
- When the tomatoes become soft and oil appears (add one or two splashes of water to get a nice paste like consistency), add the fried chicken pieces and give a good stir till the masala coats the chicken well.
- Now add the thick coconut milk and mix well.
- Cover and cook till the gravy is very thick(15 to 20 minutes approximately) The chicken pieces should be succulent coated well with the masala.
- This curry has a semi-thick gravy.Serve hot with plain rice/pulav/roti/appam.
- You can use any refined oil for this dish but honestly coconut oil enhances the flavor and lifts the dish to a whole new level. So it’s totally your call!.
- If you want to avoid excess oil usage, you can skip shallow frying the chicken. Directly proceed to cooking the marinated chicken pieces in a non-stick pan with very little oil and then adding this into the prepared tomato and onion masala with coconut milk.