Penne Pasta with Meat Sauce.
You can have Penne Pasta with Meat Sauce using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Penne Pasta with Meat Sauce
- It’s 1/2 lb of pasta.
- Prepare 1 lb of ground beef.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of extra virgin oil.
- Prepare 1 of large onion chopped.
- It’s 5 cloves of garlic chopped.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Italian seasoning.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of basil.
- You need 1/2 tsp of thyme.
- It’s 1 tsp of oregano.
- You need Dash of red pepper flakes.
- You need 2 1/2 cups of canned chunky tomatoes.
- Prepare 2 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of chopped fresh parsley.
- You need to taste of Salt and pepper.
Penne Pasta with Meat Sauce step by step
- Cook the penne pasta: Heat to boiling a large pot with 4 quarts of water in it. Once the water is boiling, salt it with 2 Tbsp of salt. Once the water returns to a boil add the pasta to the pot. Leave uncovered, let cook on high heat with a vigorous boil. Put the timer on for 8-10 minutes, or whatever your pasta package says is appropriate for al dente (cooked but still a little firm). Drain..
- Sauté onions, garlic, with seasonings: Once you've started to heat the water, start working on the sauce. Heat olive oil in a very large skillet on medium heat. Add the chopped onion, oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened. Add the garlic, thyme, season with salt and pepper. Cook for an additional minute, until the garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside..
- Brown the ground beef: Heat a large cast iron pan on high heat. Salt the bottom of the pan generously. Once the pan is hot, break up small chunks of ground beef and add them to the pan, without stirring. (You may need to work in batches; do not crowd the pan.) You want the meat to get well browned..
- Add beef and tomato sauce to onions: Use a slotted spoon to lift the meat from the cast iron pan and add it to the pan with the seasoned onions. Add tomato sauce. Use the edge of your metal spatula to break up the bigger chunks of meat into smaller pieces. Add basil. Add a teaspoon of sugar. Bring to a simmer on low heat, let cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes..
- Adjust seasonings and add the pasta: Once the sauce has simmered for 15 minutes, adjust seasonings. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a little more sugar if the sauce is too acidic. Add more tomato sauce if the sauce is a little dry. Stir in the cooked penne pasta. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve immediately..