Big Batch Orange Chicken Stew.
You can have Big Batch Orange Chicken Stew using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Big Batch Orange Chicken Stew
- You need 5 pounds of chicken pieces (We prefer drums and thighs.).
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, peeled and sliced.
- Prepare 4-6 of large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed.
- Prepare of zest of a small orange.
- Prepare 1 cup of orange juice.
- It’s 3/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce.
- Prepare 3/4-1 cup of packed brown sugar, depending on how sweet you like things.
- It’s 2-4 Tablespoons of sriracha, depending on how hot you like things.
- You need of optional: 5 or 6 thin slices fresh ginger OR 1 teaspoon ginger powder.
- It’s of optional: 1 to 2 Tablespoons of white vinegar if you like extra tang.
Big Batch Orange Chicken Stew instructions
- In a large Dutch oven (or saute pan as was the case today), lay your chicken on a single layer if possible, skin side up, along with the rest of the ingredients *except. Cover, turn the heat to medium high, and let it begin to come to a simmer. This should take 7 minutes or so, depending on the weather, how cold your chicken is, and how hot your stove gets..
- Once the liquid is simmering, stir in the brown sugar and sriracha..
- Let everything come up to a boil for a minute or two, then turn the heat down to medium low and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes. 15 for smaller pieces of chicken, and up to 20 for larger pieces..
- Then flip the chicken pieces over so they're skin side down, keeping the heat at medium low, and simmer, lid askew, for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then flip the chicken skin side up again, turn the heat up to medium, and simmer, *un*covered, for another 15 to 20 minutes. This will reduce the sauce and intensify all the flavors. If you have the time and energy, you might like to baste the skin from time to time with the sauce..
- Garnish with fresh orange slices and chopped green onions and cilantro if you like and enjoy!.