Cinco de mayo grub.
You can have Cinco de mayo grub using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cinco de mayo grub
- Prepare 5 lb of Pork Shoulder.
- It’s of Plantain.
- It’s 4 envelope of Sazon.
- Prepare of Rice.
- You need 1 can of Dark red kidney beans.
- Prepare of Sofrito.
- It’s 1/2 of onion, chopped.
- You need 1/2 of Green pepper chopped.
- It’s of masa flour.
- It’s of frijoles refrito.
- It’s of curtido.
- It’s of oil.
- Prepare of jalapeños.
- Prepare of onion wraps.
Cinco de mayo grub instructions
- Season the pork with sofrito and sazon and whatever else you like. Then put in the oven on 225 degrees and cook low and slow until it shreds easily. You can put in crockpot too..
- For the rice put enough oil to just layer the bottom of the pan. Add green pepper and onion and cook until just softened. Add the sofrito (homemade or store bought, I make my own), sazon and kidney beans (drain and rinse them first) and cook for a minute longer. Add the rice and stir well and let cool a couple minutes being sure to stir often. Add just enough water to cover the rice. Bring to a boil then stir, reduce heat to low and cover. Let cook until all water is absorbed. Flip the rice and replace lid and let cool another 20 minutes or so until rice is tender..
- For the popusas you need masa, water, salt and homemade or canned refried beans (I made my own of course) and oil for frying. Mix the masa and some salt together. Add water until the dough is soft and not sticky. Knead it as much as you need to. Make a ball with the masa then cup it up, put some of the beans in the center and form dough around that making sure to cover the beans completely. Flatten out like a pancake, rub oil on the popusa and fry on a griddle until done on both sides, it takes a few minutes. Serve with curtido and enjoy..
- The jalapeños you just rub with oil and either fry in a pan or roast in the oven. Those are optional but I love them..
- Onion wraps are a no brainer lol and optional as well..
- The curtido for the popusas is really easy. Shred a small had if cabbage, slice half a white onion very thin, julienne some carrots, thinly slice jalapeños. Mix together 1 cup of apple cider vinegar, 3/4 cup water, a handful of brown sugar, a couple pinches of oregano, a couple punched of crushed red pepper and a little bit of black pepper. Blend all that stuff together then shove it in a mason jar or and tightly sealed container and let marinade a couple hours, the longer the better. There are tons of recipes for this stuff you just have to suit to your taste..
- For the Plantains it's simple just slice them, fry them for a couple minutes on each side, take them out of the pan and smash then down flat, then fry them again until crispy and season with salt and enjoy!.