Nan's Onion Jam. Drizzle this savory onion jam over a bar of cream cheese for a perfect appetizer with crackers or use as a Stir onion, salt, and black pepper into sugar mixture. Onions will immediately start to caramelize. Part of the series: Food Creations.
This easy-to-make sweet-tart onion jam is great with roasted meats and poultry, grilled salmon and Make Ahead. From glass canning jars to lids and rings, here's what you need to know to start preserving food at home. This Bacon Onion Jam Recipe is perfect for topping off your pork tenderloin sliders. You can have Nan's Onion Jam using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Nan's Onion Jam
- Prepare 3 of lg. Onions, sliced or diced (white or yellow).
- You need 4 T. of Olive oil.
- It’s 1/2 c. of Dark brown sugar.
- You need 5 T. of Balsamic vinegar.
- You need 1-1/2 T. of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s 1/4 tsp. of Salt.
- Prepare to taste of Pepper,.
We Southerners know our jams—blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, fig—if. Bacon-onion jam is also a terrific sandwich condiment. Paired with crumbled blue cheese, it's a Spoon the jam into a jar or bowl, then allow to cool completely. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for.
Nan's Onion Jam instructions
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook onions in olive oil, uncovered, stirring occasionally. The more caramelized brown you get them, the better the flavor will be. This will take 45-60 minutes..
- I was in a hurry, so I didn't really get these onions caramelized, but it'll still be good. Stir in remaining ingredients..
- Continue cooking, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 35-45 minutes until the liquid reduces significantly and becomes a syrupy consistency..
- Cool completely and store, covered, in refrigerator..
- NOTE: I'm a balsamic vinegar junkie and buy the expensive premium balsamics at a specialty store. BUT, for onion jam I use regular, grocery store balsamic vinegar. I've also made this substituting red wine vinegar, and it's also very good..
Onion & Rosemary Confiturra – from Serious Eats. Notes: This jam is a mix of sweet and sour and herb-y. Balsamic Onion Jam – from Coconut & Lime. Notes: The sweetest of the three. Caramelized onions are combined with balsamic vinegar and vegetable broth to make a wonderful Bacon-Onion Jam: Omit the olive oil.