Spicy fried plantain (kelewele). Fried plantains like kelewele show up all over the world like in Nigeria (called dodo), South America and the Caribbean, and Asia, but this recipe is ALL GHANA! Spice recommendations change based on who's cooking it. It seems everyone has their own secret spice mix, but the basics are salt, peppers.
Originally from Ghana, kelewele have been popularized in America by several Kwanzaa books and websites. Kelewele or Aloco(Spicy Fried Plantains) – African spicy fried ripe plantains that is crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Goes well with peanuts and as sides for any protein. You can cook Spicy fried plantain (kelewele) using 7 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spicy fried plantain (kelewele)
- It’s 4 of large ripe plantains.
- It’s 1 tbsp of paprika.
- It’s to taste of Salt,.
- You need 1 tsp of ginger powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- You need 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.
- It’s As needed of Vegetable oil, for frying.
But the traditional Ghanaian Kelewele fried plantains are in a world of their own. I've always loved buying these from street vendors across the city, so much so that I learned the recipe and made them for myself! Kelewele is a traditional Ghanaian side dish or snack of spicy fried plantains. All Reviews for Kelewele (Spicy Fried Plantains).
Spicy fried plantain (kelewele) instructions
- Wash and split all the plantains. Next, in a large bowl, diagonally cut the plantains into bite sizes..
- To season, pour in the paprika, salt, ginger and nutmeg and finally the lemon juice. Mix thoroughly to combine. Leave on the counter for 10 minutes..
- In a large saucepan, pour in some vegetable oil and heat it up on medium high heat, to check for hotness, put in the oil, a piece of onion, if it starts to fry, the oil is ready, with a spider spoon, scoop and pour the plantain into the oil. Fry for 10 minutes then reduce the heat to medium low and fry for another 5 minutes. Time may vary so fry till golden brown. When fried, take it out and put in a colander or a bowl lined with tissue paper to absorb any excess oil..
- Serve with your favourite rice dishes or as a snack with some peanuts. Happy Frying!.
Wash and split all the plantains. Next, in a large bowl, diagonally cut the plantains into bite sizes. Kelewele – Easy, quick and super tasty Spicy Fried Plantain cubes. Made with ripe plantains that are peeled, cut into small cubes or bite-size chunks and seasoned with spices such as Onion, Garlic, Cayenne Pepper, and Ginger. The spiced plantain is then fried until the sugar in it caramelizes.