French Onion Soup. Stay warm with this GREAT French onion soup! With beef stock base, slow-cooked caramelized onions, French bread, gruyere and Parmesan cheese. French onion soup (French: soupe à l'oignon [sup a lɔɲɔ̃]) is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served gratinéed with croutons or a larger piece of bread covered with.
Our French onion soup is deliciously rich and easy to make at home. This savoury soup is perfect for using up a garden glut and great for dinner parties. Look, French Onion Soup a challenging soup to eat: chunks of chewy cheese and soggy bread floating on top.but it's supposed to be that way. You can cook French Onion Soup using 20 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- You need of The Stock.
- You need 4 lb of lbs. cracked beef bones/soup bones w/o meat.
- Prepare 2 of onions, halved.
- Prepare 2 of scrubbed quartered carrots.
- It’s 2 of celery stalks.
- You need of bouquet garni:0.25 tsp. thyme, 1 bay leaf, 6 parsley sprigs, 2 unpeeled garlic cloves, 2 whole cloves.
- Prepare 10 cups of water.
- It’s of For the Onions and Soup.
- Prepare 1 1/2 lbs of or about 5 cups of thinly sliced yellow onion.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of Tbs butter+1 Tbs Oil.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 of ⁄4 tsp sugar (helps the onions to brown).
- It’s 3 Tbsp of flour.
- You need 1/2 cup of dry white wine.
- You need of The strained Stock.
- You need to taste of salt and pepper.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of tbs Cognac, brings the flavors together.
- You need 4 of rounds of hard-toasted french bread.
- It’s of Grated good Swiss Cheese to cover.
- Prepare of Cook and assemble.
I often suggest additions or subtractions to a recipe. French Onion Soup is easier than you think to make at home so you can cuddle up with a big bowl Just the name "French Onion Soup" blankets me in warmth – and has me drooling. A French Onion Soup recipe we heard you say!? No problem, French Guy Cooking to the rescue.
French Onion Soup step by step
- Heat oven to 450F. Arrange the meat, bones, onions, and carrots in a cast iron pan. Place in the middle portion of the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, turning occasionally until nicely browned..
- Remove from the oven and drain fat out of roasting pan. Transfer into an 8 or 10 quart soup kettle. Pour a cup or two of the water to the pan, set over heat (or back in the still hot oven). Scrape up all the brown bits at the bottom. Pour all that into the kettle..
- Tie the Bousquet garni in a coffee filter or cheese cloth..
- Cover ingredients with 10 cups water. Bring to a simmer, skim and add the salt, celery and bouquet garni. Simmer the stock for 4 to 5 hours. Strain the stock out of the kettle into a bowl..
- ONIONS, COOKING AND FINAL ASSEMBLY.
- Melt butter, add oil to a large pot. Add sugar and onions, cover and cook on low for 30 minutes..
- Raise heat and cook, stirring often on medium until golden, around 45 minutes.
- Stir in flour, cook for a minute and add stock and wine. Partially cover and simmer gently for one hour..
- Add Cognac, ladle into oven proof soup bowls, add bread slice and cover with cheese..
- Bake at 400 degrees until lightly brown..
Sweet onions, melted cheese and finished with a gnarly top. French Onion Soup is essentially caramelised onion in soup form topped with cheesy bread. French Onion Soup is probably one of the most epic soups in this whole wide world. French onion soup is a bistro classic, the most homey and delicious example of good café cooking. But only a handful of frugal ingredients make up this restaurant favorite.