Pre-Civil War Blackberry Cobbler.
You can cook Pre-Civil War Blackberry Cobbler using 7 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Pre-Civil War Blackberry Cobbler
- It’s 4 cups of fresh blackberries.
- You need 1 of and 1/4 cups sugar.
- Prepare 4 Tbl of cornstarch.
- Prepare 2 Tbl of blackberry brandy.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- You need 1 Tbl of ground cinnamon.
- You need of For pastry: 1 cup sugar, 3/4 cup sifted flour, 1/3 cup soft butter.
Pre-Civil War Blackberry Cobbler step by step
- Place blackberries in a medium saucepan and crush with a potato masher. Saucepan is on low heat..
- Once thoroughly crushed, add the sugar and rise the heat to medium. Stir constantly until the mixture is boiling..
- Once boiling, continue to stir constantly for 5 minutes at the same heat. Do not turn it down and do not stop stirring..
- After 5 minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat immediately..
- Stir in the nutmeg and cinnamon..
- In a separate cup or small bowl, mix together the brandy and cornstarch. Ideally, the brandy should be a bit chilled. Mix until it is thick liquid..
- Pour the cornstarch/brandy mixture into the saucepan and mix well..
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and butter. Work in the butter by hand. The consistency should be crumbly and there should be no pieces of butter left..
- Pour the saucepan ingredients into a 9-inch casserole or baking dish. Pour the bowl mixture on top and spread evenly over the blackberry mixture..
- Place baking dish in the oven (preheated at 350 degrees) uncovered for 20 minutes..
- When done, the side edges of the dish should be starting to form a light, brown crust..