Pickled Asparagus with an Onion. Set aside the trimmed pieces for another use. The pickled onions add a vibrant visual contrast to the dish, as well as a touch of tartness from the citrus and vinegar. Great to crunch up plain roasted Transfer the asparagus immediately to a cool plate to stop the cooking.
Split two mini baguettes in half (or one large baguette) and remove a little of the doughy center so the asparagus and egg can fit inside. Asparagus and onions are steamed until tender, then quickly browned in butter with garlic. It was ok but would be better with an extra clove of garlic and a LOT less butter. You can have Pickled Asparagus with an Onion using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Pickled Asparagus with an Onion
- Prepare of Vegetables to be pickled.
- It’s 1-1/2 pound of asparagus whole.
- You need 1 of medium onion.
- It’s of Spices.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of minced garlic.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of juniper berries.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of pickling spices.
- You need 1/3 cup of honey.
- Prepare 1 of Solution part.
- Prepare 1 cup of apple cider vinegar raw/organic.
- It’s 1 cup of white distilled vinegar.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of canning salt.
- Prepare 2 of Solution part.
- Prepare 2 cups of water.
- You need 1 tablespoon of canning salt.
For the asparagus: Heat the butter and garlic in a skillet over medium-high heat. This pickling recipe comes from the husband of one of my girlfriends, during the time I lived in North Dakota. This was Jim's specialty, a treat that many people looked For most of the time I lived in North Dakota, I was on a Friday night bowling team with a handful of girlfriends. These pickled vegetables go great with cheese toasts.
Pickled Asparagus with an Onion step by step
- Heat the vinegars to a boil dissolve the salt..
- Cut the woody end off the asparagus bottoms and discard. Trim the asparagus to fit the height of the sterilized jar. Get the pickling spices. Stuff the jar with the asparagus, spices, and sliced onion..
- Add the honey first then the boiling vinegar solution..
- Boil the water and salt then top off the jar. Put the lid on careful this will be hot. Shake a wee bit to mix. Set on a paper towel. The jar and lid is very hot. If you set it on something cold it could shatter the jar causing you cuts and burns, please be careful..
- Let this cool and check lid to see if it sealed. The top center of lid should be sucked in. If not put into a refrigerator for a week or two. If it has let sit on shelf to pickle for about two-6 weeks. I hope you enjoy!!!!.
Simply cut a baguette into slices and sprinkle with grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese. Top with a few pieces of thinly sliced prosciutto, if desired, and a little more cheese, and then broil until cheese is melted. Cut asparagus and onions into bite-size. Like pickled onions, pickled asparagus is an acquired taste, but it's a retro recipe that deserves a comeback—particularly if served up in a Bloody Mary. Whether you eat them on their own, along with a sandwich or as part of an appetizer spread, pickled asparagus are the perfect supper club snack.