Cornbread with Ham, Onions and Tomatoes. Add drained tomatoes, cornbread cubes, asparagus and ham to whisked egg mixture; stir to combine, pressing gently to help cornbread absorb egg mixture. Topped with sweet onions and filled with corn, cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions (and cottage cheese!), this upside cornbread is truly amazing. The bread has the perfect touch of sweetness, plus, it's the best choice when you want a side dish that packs a little more punch than your typical.
Stir in olives and stuffing mix. Fill each tomato with cornbread stuffing and place in a. And cornbread, I've found, is such a personal thing. You can have Cornbread with Ham, Onions and Tomatoes using 13 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cornbread with Ham, Onions and Tomatoes
- You need 1/2 pound of smoked ham.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of lard.
- You need 15 ounces of canned diced tomatoes with their juices.
- Prepare 1-1/2 tablespoons of chives.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of green onion.
- You need 1-1/2 cups of buttermilk cornbread mix.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of self rising flour.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of double acting baking powder.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- You need 1/3 cup of finely chopped bell pepper.
- Prepare 1 of large egg.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of sugar.
People are very rabid and passionate about the kind of cornbread they prefer, and it almost always relates back to the variety the ate during childhood. My mom always made this version, usually called "Texas Cornbread" in the recipe books. I saw a photo of cornbread that looking like it had browned bits of onions all over the top, only to find that those bits were bacon — I persevered and added caramelized, brown-edged onions to mine and loved it. Try our tomato soup recipe with cornbread.
Cornbread with Ham, Onions and Tomatoes instructions
- Get the ham that has the least amount of white streaks in it. Remove the white tough membrane. Chop the onions, chives, and bell pepper. Mince the ham..
- Mix the lard, flour, cornbread mix, egg, sugar, baking powder, pepper, onion mixture, ham, and salt. Add the tomato and its juices. Then finally stir in the water..
- Heat the lard it will smoke, it will burn, if you're not careful. Spoon in a clump and fry. Turn often or it will char. Pile them on a paper towel till all are done. I hope you enjoy!!.
Stir in grated mature cheddar and chopped spring onions and season. Check out this cornbread recipe made with a corn muffin or cornbread mix, sour cream, sauteed onions, and cheese. Some favorites, such as tomatoes and cucumbers (the very things we had growing over in the sunnier part) were eliminated early as I always have this soup with cornbread. This recipe is adapted from the Cook's Illustrated people, and I've found this to be one of the better all-cornmeal recipes I've tried. Cornbread is the traditional cornmeal-based bread that is typically associated with Southern cuisine.