French Onion Skillet. The flavors you know and love in one easy skillet dinner! When we say this French onion chicken skillet is one of the best chicken dinners we've ever made, we are not. We we have a great spin on that!
French Onion Chicken Skillet. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. One-Skillet French Onion Chicken. by Kelli Foster. Caramelized onions are the shining stars in this French Onion Chicken from Delish.com. You can have French Onion Skillet using 14 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of French Onion Skillet
- Prepare 2 Tbsp. of butter.
- Prepare of Dense bread, cubed, enough to cover bottom of cast iron skillet.
- You need 1-2 cups of cubed, shredded, minced, sliced meat of your choice.
- You need 1 (10 1/2 oz.) of can French Onion soup.
- You need 6-8 oz. of Sour cream.
- It’s 8 oz. of mozzarella cheese, shredded.
- It’s of Optional:.
- It’s of Mushrooms.
- It’s of Onions.
- It’s of Thyme.
- Prepare of Substitions:.
- You need of Bread cubes can be substituted with boxed stuffing mixes.
- You need of Provolone or Swiss work as alternative cheese options.
- You need of Beef broth can sub for French onion soup.
Wipe out skillet with paper towels. This French Onion Chicken Skillet is a delicious weeknight dinner that is a play on French onion soup and packed with protein, making it a full meal. This will become one of your favorite chicken skillet. Making Skillet French Onion Chicken needs to move to the top of your to-do list.
French Onion Skillet step by step
- I pulled everything out of my fridge and pantry that needed to be used up TODAY. Then I tapped my foot with my hands on my hips, tilted my head and chewed on my lip, wrinkled my forehead and…. Well this is where I ended up…..
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in an iron skillet, or an oven proof skillet. I use a skillet because I'm going to cook, stick in the fridge and reheat after my kids basketball game..
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cube bread into 1" or hearty bite sized pieces, needs to hold up during saucing process but not so big you need to cut it up later..
- Once butter has melted and just started to brown, throw in the bread, move around to cover the bottom of the skillet but do not toss it. You want an even layer of buttered, slightly fried bread. Remove from heat once bread has started to brown..
- Next, top with meat. I minced up some leftover steak in my food processor and sprinkled it all over. With the flavor combinations in this recipe, red meat definitely works best, but you do not have to mince the meat, just avoid large pieces that will require additional cutting at serving time..
- Then I pulled out some leftover canned mushrooms.. Sighed… I went to the store today, failed to buy some fresh fungi and this is what I'm left with. Which, as I took the picture I had the realization they may be the ugliest of the foods. Proceed to chop the mushrooms, continue to contemplate using a grocery list…. Sprinkle those ugly little pieces of yumminess on top the bread and steak skillet..
- In a bowl whisk 1 can French onion soup and 8 oz. of sour cream together. If you only have a partial container of sour cream, just add some milk or cream to make up the difference..
- Pour the sour cream mixture on top of the skillet meal you have assembled..
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes..
- Shred 8 oz. of mozzarella or as much cheese as you want, or until your arm gets tired, or until you hit your knuckle on the cheese grater…. Probably works to tear open a package of shredded cheese too… I didn't buy any at the store today… Grocery lists people….
- Now decide how soon you're going to eat… If you are hungry go ahead and top the skillet with the cheese and pop it back in the oven for a couple minutes or let it sit covered while you pull together the rest of your meal. For me this is a make ahead meal, so I shredded my cheese on a piece of foil. Then I wrapped it up in a little pouch and threw it in the fridge with the cooled, prepared skillet. "Threw" may not be the appropriate verb here..
- Later….. I pull skillet out of fridge, top with cheese, cover with foil, and heat on the stove top over a medium low heat… While trying to get my kids to shower and put away their sports gear and I try to find my cork screw and wine (which strangely enough I remembered without a grocery list….) Hmmmm……
- Enjoy :).
This chicken recipe boasts perfectly seasoned chicken, pan-fried to perfection and smothered in melty cheeses and a. Just like glistening French Onion Skillet Chicken all nestled beneath sweet, caramelized onions and melted gruyere cheese, being covered and gently coated in those things of a loving nature in life can. Jump to Recipe • Print Recipe. Cook up Knorr's delicious French Onion Cheesesteak Skillet made with a few simple ingredients. A recipe that's quick and easy to make but flavorful to eat!