You can have Christmas Cake using 17 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Christmas Cake
- Prepare 8 oz of butter.
- Prepare 8 oz of dark soft brown sugar.
- Prepare 4 of eggs.
- It’s 8 oz of plain flour, sifted.
- You need 1 teaspoon of allspice.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
- You need 2 tablespoons of black treacle.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of lemon or orange juice.
- It’s 8 oz of seedless raisins.
- Prepare 12 oz of currants.
- It’s 8 oz of sultanas.
- It’s 4 oz of cut mixed peel.
- You need 3 oz of glace cherries, quartered, washed and dried.
- You need of grated rind of 1 lemon.
- Prepare of grated rind of 1 small orange.
- Prepare 6-8 tablespoons of brandy (divided).
Christmas Cake step by step
- In a large bowl, combine the raisins, currants, sultanas, mixed peel, glace cherries and grated lemon and orange rind. Add 3-4 tablespoons brandy, stir well and leave to soak..
- Preheat the oven to 300 F..
- Grease and line an 8 inch round or 7 inch square deep cake tin with greased greaseproof paper..
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, folding in a tablespoon of flour after each addition..
- Sift the remaining flour with spices and fold into the creamed mixture, using a large metal spoon. Then stir in the treacle and fruit juice..
- Add the brandy-soaked fruit mix to the cake mixture and stir until evenly blended, then turn into the prepared tin. Smooth the surface, make a small hollow in the center and tie a treble thickness of brown paper around the outside of the tin..
- Bake in the preheated cool oven for about 3.25-3.50 hours or until a warmed fine skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean..
- Leave the cake in the tin overnight to cool completely. Prick the surface all over with a fine skewer, then pour over the remaining 3-4 tablespoons brandy and allow to soak in. Remove the cake from the tin, wrap securely in foil and store in a cool dry place..