OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake)【Recipe Video】. So what the Japanese have to make use of what was available, which included vegetables and wheat flour. So they developed pancake and added fillings in There are two main varieties of Okonomiyaki that are most popular. One is the Osaka style where most of the ingredients are mixed into the batter.
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake) Recipe : Japanese “as you like” pancakes are savoury cabbage pancakes topped with bacon and grilled until golden brown before being Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き o-konomi-yaki) is the ultra popular Japanese style savoury pancake, aka Japanese Pizza! Okonomiyaki – Japanese savoury pancake containing loads of shredded cabbage topped with egg Jump to Recipe Print Recipe. Okonomiyaki is the famous Japanese savory pancake that is Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is a Japanese street food which is very popular among Western visitors. You can cook OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake)【Recipe Video】 by using 20 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you can cook that:
Ingredients of OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake)【Recipe Video】
- You need 250 g (8.8 oz) of thin sliced pork belly.
- Prepare 400 g (14 oz) of cabbage, about 1/2 heads.
- It’s 6 stalks of scallion.
- You need 40 g (1.4 oz) of red pickled ginger.
- It’s 10 leaves of perilla leaf.
- Prepare 4 of eggs.
- It’s of oil for frying.
- Prepare of Okonomi-yaki batter.
- It’s 200 ml (6.8 fl oz) of boiled water.
- You need 2 tsp of Japanese soup stock (dashi), granule type.
- You need 200 g of (7 oz, 1.6 cups) cake flour.
- Prepare 1.5 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 2 tsp of dried bonito powder (optional).
- Prepare 150 g (5.3 oz) of Japanese yam.
- Prepare of Topping (adjust to suit your taste).
- Prepare of okonomiyaki sauce (savory pancake sauce, It's kind of similar to barbecue sauce.).
- You need of mayonnaise.
- You need of dried green nori flakes.
- It’s of dried bonito flakes.
- It’s of 1cup=235cc(USA).
Best Okonomiyaki Recipe (Osaka style) or better known as 'Japanese Pizza'. You can now make this savory Japanese pancake at home with my detailed video & instructions. All you need is flour, eggs, shredded cabbage, or your choice of protein. Make it vegetarian if you like.
OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake)【Recipe Video】 instructions
- ★Recipe video★ (my You Tube channel)→https://youtu.be/u59j7GmSckc.
- 【For Okonomiyaki batter】Put 200 ml (6.8 fl oz) boiled water in a bowl and add Japanese soup stock, stir well. Put the bowl in water to cool down; set aside. Mix roughly cake flour, baking powder, and dried bonito powder; set aside..
- Grate Japanese yam into a large bowl. Pour the prepared stock in it while stirring. Sift dry ingredients over it..
- Mix well until smooth. Let it sit in a fridge for 3 hours or more to bring out the ''umami''(savory taste) of the flour..
- 【Prepare other ingredients. 】Chop cabbage into about 1 cm (0.4'') square. Chop the core of cabbage into fine pieces. Cut stalks scallion into small pieces. (You should wipe off moisture after you wash vegetables, before cutting them.).
- Cut leaves perilla leaf into small pieces. Chop red pickled ginger into fine pieces..
- 【Cook it with a frying pan.】Put one serving of the batter and vegetables in a bowl (1/4 each). Add an egg and mix roughly..
- Heat a frypan on medium-low heat and add a splash of oil for frying. Pour the okonomiyaki mixture into the pan. Use a spatula to form it into a round pancake about 2cm (0.8'') thick..
- Cook it for 3 mins on medium heat. Gently lay about 1/4 of the pork belly slices on top of the pancake. When golden brown on the bottom, flip it and cook the other side..
- Cook it on medium heat for 4-5 mins until golden too or pork belly gets crispy. Please don't push down on the okonomiyaki in the pan to get a fluffy pancake. Flip it again, warm it on low heat and then turn off the heat..
- 【Toppings】Apply okonomiyaki sauce with a spoon or brush, add mayonnaise in zigzagging lines, and sprinkle dried green nori flakes and dried bonito flakes. Please try freshly cooked OKONOMIYAKI!.
- Notes: If the time has passed after putting cabbage into the batter, the water in the cabbage will come out and the batter will become watery. If the batter becomes watery, the cooked okonomiyaki won't get fluffy, so when cooking, it's better to mix the batter and vegetables just before cooking..
Okonomiyaki – Japanese Savoury Pancakes + Toppings. For the classic Kansai flavour experience, there are two other mouth-watering toppings we recommend: sprinklings of dried seaweed flakes (aonori ) and finely shaved bonito flakes. (Have you ever noticed how bonito flakes curl up and dance. Okonomiyaki, sometimes called Japanese pizza or Japanese pancake, is one of the best dishes to make if you're a beginner japanese cook. It exposes you to a lot of classic Japanese ingredients, but it is very easy to make well and is very flexible in terms of what you put in the okonomiyaki. This recipe is for the Osaka-style version, which can be topped with a variety of ingredients.