Sweet Onion and Cheddar Pie. SWEET ONION CHEDDAR PIE (Wallas,MAUI or Vandalia). I would like to share this wonderful pie with a little history to it. This shepherd's pie is made with ground lamb, caramelized onions, smashed potatoes, all topped with grated Cheddar cheese.
This delicious pie has a buttery cracker crumb crust and is stuffed with sweet onions. It is superb along side any barbequed meat — especially pork. I recommend one significant change, however: baking the crumb crust for several minutes before adding the onions and egg/milk mixture, otherwise it ends. You can have Sweet Onion and Cheddar Pie using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sweet Onion and Cheddar Pie
- You need 1 1/2 cups of crushed ritz crackers.
- It’s 2-3 of sweet onions.
- It’s 4-5 strips of bacon.
- You need 2/3 stick of butter melted(for crust).
- You need 2 tbsp of butter(to cook onions).
- Prepare 1 cup of cheddar.
- It’s 2 of eggs.
- You need 3/4 cup of milk.
- You need 3/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare Dash of pepper.
- You need 1/4 tsp of paprika.
I would describe this Sweet Onion Turkey Cheddar Pie as a cross between a pot pie and a quiche – although you won't really notice the eggs in the filling because it's so loaded up with sweet onions and turkey. In a bowl, mix together the onions, garlic, mayonnaise, yogurt or sour cream, cheddar, and Tabasco (and curry powder, if using). Spread into a lightly pan sprayed small-ish baking dish. Top with Parmesan and sprinkle with paprika to taste. (Ground ancho chile powder can be substituted for the paprika.
Sweet Onion and Cheddar Pie instructions
- Mix ritz crumbs and melted butter and press into a 8" pie pan.
- In a large pan cook bacon..
- Remove bacon and cook onion in the same pan with butter until transparent..
- Stir in crumbled bacon and pour into pie pan over ritz crust..
- Mix eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together and pour over onions. Sprinkle with cheese, and paprika..
- Bake at 350° for 30 min..
- Serve hot..
Who says delicious pies can only be served for dessert? This savory Sweet Onion Turkey Cheddar Pie is fantastic! Savory Irish Potato Pie Recipe – Crispy crust layered with potatoes, onions and bacon. The Saint Patrick's Day favorite is a must have at an Irish dinner! Atkins welcomes you to try our delicious Cheddar and Green Onion Pie recipe for a low carb lifestyle.