Sweet and sour Chicken. Chinese-style sweet and sour chicken, stir-fried with bell peppers and pineapple chunks. Just like the Shrimp Fried Rice, a very hot pan is essential to making this Sweet and Sour Chicken so that the chicken can sear quickly. Sweet and Sour Chicken is a classic Chinese takeout option most of us are too afraid to make at home.
This Sweet and Sour Chicken combines crispy chicken with chunks of onion, bell pepper and pineapple in a sticky homemade sauce. Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Chicken. Sweet and sour chicken is a popular Chinese recipe. You can cook Sweet and sour Chicken using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sweet and sour Chicken
- It’s 2 cup of boneless chicken- cubed.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of brown sugar, packed.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of water, plus extra for snow peas.
- Prepare 1 (10 oz) of package snow peas.
- Prepare 6 tbsp of cornstarch.
- It’s 1/2 cup of vinegar.
- You need 1 (20 oz) of can pineapple chunks (save juice).
- You need 1 of large red pepper, sliced.
- You need 4 oz of sliced mushrooms.
- Prepare 1 of small jar of maraschino cherries.
- It’s 1 tsp of almond extract (rum extract can be substituted).
- You need 1 of salt – to taste.
- You need 1 dash of sugar.
- You need 1 of toasted almonds.
- Prepare 1 of You can add whatever vegies you like.
For the best sweet and sour chicken, please following my cooking tips below: The combination of plum sauce, Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce and Chinese rice vinegar make the sauce tastes like the best Chinese restaurants. Skip the take out – this Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe is so good that you'll put it on the permanent rotation. So I decided to have lunch at work that day. I chose out an egg roll and some sweet and sour chicken, then went to my desk to eat – only to be completely disappointed.
Sweet and sour Chicken instructions
- In a large saucepan cook water, brown sugar, cornstarch, 1/2 amount of pineapple juice in can and 2-3 tsp cherry juice from jar on medium to combine. Turn down to low..
- In a saute pan, cook chicken in oil and then add the mushrooms and pepper slices. In a small saucepan cook the peapods in a little water with salt and sugar til tender..
- Combine the chicken and veggies in the sauce and add 1/2 the can of pineapple chunks and 10-20 cherries..
- Serve over rice and top with toasted almond slivers.
- Mix cold water with 6 Tbsp cornstarch stirring to make thick liquid. Pour into the brown sugar mixture and stir continuosly to thicken.*.
Sweet and Sour Chicken is made by batter-frying chicken and then tossing it in a quick and easy sweet and sour sauce. If you love Chinese food but But really, who doesn't love crispy fried chicken with that classic sweet and sour combo? As with most of the dishes on the blog. An Easier, Healthier Sweet and Sour Chicken. Instead of battering and deep-frying, you'll pan-fry the cornstarch-coated chicken until browned on the outside.