Banket (Dutch) almond roll. We tried to keep it real. A rich almond center + a flakey crust = a dreamy almond-y pastry. Banket is a delicious Dutch almond pastry that is perfect for Christmas parties.
I am Dutch and have been making banket since I can remember with my mom. Here are a couple of tips that we use to make this: Make smaller loaves. The big ones tend to burst easier. You can have Banket (Dutch) almond roll using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Banket (Dutch) almond roll
- You need 2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need 1 cup of butter.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of cold water.
- It’s 2 of eggs.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of granulated sugar.
- You need 1/4 tsp of almond extract.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of almond paste.
- It’s 1 pinch of salt.
- Prepare 1 of egg white, beaten.
Simply cut the large square you roll out into quarters. We also use water to seal the seam. Keep in mind that it's a very sweet almond roll. so you don't want to take HUGE pieces when slicing. It's really good with a nice hot cup of coffee!
Banket (Dutch) almond roll instructions
- In a large bowl, mix cold butter into flour until the mixture has a crumb-like texture. Make a well in the center and add cold water. Mix together until it forms a ball and then chill the dough..
- Preheat oven to 450°F and grease cookie sheet(s).
- In a medium bowl blend together the almond paste, eggs, sugar, almond extract and salt..
- Divide the dough into 4 parts and roll into 15 inch strips. Place the filling along the center of each long strip, roll up and pinch the ends to seal..
- Place the strips 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet and brush each with egg white and sprinkle sugar on top..
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown..
It also makes quite a bit, so we enjoy making it around the holidays and giving a few of the 'rolls' to family! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Dutch Banket Pastry is puff pastry with almond filling. Take a rolling pin and lightly roll the top of the banketstaaf to make it a little flat on the top. Lay the banketstaaf onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper, make sure the seam is on the bottom.