Sausage and Apple Empanadas.
You can have Sausage and Apple Empanadas using 8 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sausage and Apple Empanadas
- It’s 2 lbs of Hot Italian Sausage.
- Prepare 2 of Melrose Apples.
- Prepare 1/8 cup of Feta cheese crumbles.
- You need 2 tsp of Ground Sage.
- It’s 1 tsp of Poultry Seasoning.
- You need 1 cup of Corn starch slurry.
- You need of Unsweetened Fry Pie Dough.
- It’s 1 dash of Nutmeg.
Sausage and Apple Empanadas step by step
- Add the sage and poultry seasoning to the sausage and brown in a large cast iron skillet..
- Prepare your favorite fry pie dough omitting the sugars. We used a GF recipe and also tried a few in fresh made corn tortillas. Between the 2 types of dough we had enough to make 14 empanadas..
- Once brown chop 1 apple into 1/2 inch chucks and add to the sausage and cook until softened..
- Chop the 2nd apple into 1/4 inch chunks and stir into the sausage with the nutmeg-just a couple passes across a microplane is enough. Set the temp to low..
- Add the feta and cornstarch slurry. Then take off heat and let cool a bit so the dough can be stuffed..
- Heat another cast iron skillet with either shortening or your favorite oil to 350°..
- Roll the dough out to about 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick and cut out 6 inch rounds..
- Stuff each round, dab water along the edges of the round then fold in half. Crimp the edge with a fork to seal..
- Fry only 2-3 at a time to not drop the temp of the oil. Brown both sides the set on a wire rack to drain and keep in an oven on the lowest setting to keep warm..
- Serve with some breaded leek rings and try to not over eat!.