French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Mozzarella Croutons. French Onion Soup is a deeply flavorful blend of onions caramelized in butter and slow simmered in a rich medley of beef broth and white wine, then finished with a splash of Cognac and topped with toasted croutons and bubbly Gruyere cheese. I've adapted this French Onion Soup recipe from Julia Child's. Learn how to make French onion soup with this classic French onion soup recipe!
French Onion Soup is probably one of the most epic soups in this whole wide world. And yet, the soup itself is made with very few core ingredients It's so much easier to do the cheesy croutons your way. On reading your comments I decided to finally attempt making my. You can cook French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Mozzarella Croutons using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Mozzarella Croutons
- It’s 4 of yellow onions, finely sliced.
- It’s 4 of red onions, finely sliced.
- It’s 1 of leek, finely sliced and washed.
- You need 5 clove of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive or avocado oil.
- It’s 1 of dried bay leaf.
- Prepare 2 litres of good quality unsalted beef stock.
- You need 3/4 cup of red wine.
- You need 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- You need 1/4 cup of grated mozzarella & parmesan to serve.
- You need 2 tablespoons of salt (to taste).
- You need 1 tablespoon of ground pepper (to taste).
- Prepare 1 of French stick, sliced thickly diagonally.
- You need 1/4 cup of grated cheddar and Parmesan.
French Onion Soup is made with caramelized onions, beef broth, white wine, bay leaves and thyme, thus French + Onion + Soup! It is unclear when the cheesy bread crouton was added but it has become an iconic part of the soup. Where did French Onion Soup Come From? French Onion Soup is a well loved winter favorite, and it's as loved in The South as it is anywhere.
French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Mozzarella Croutons step by step
- Slice all onions and leeks..
- Heat a large heavy base on high heat and melt the butter and add olive oil. Add onions and leek. Turn the heat down and sweat down onions slowly for around half an hour. Stir occasionally, and keep the lid so that it 3/4 covers pot, allowing steam to escape..
- Do not rush it! That may result the onions to burn. Rather have the onions caramelized which will give the soup a nice dark brown color. It may even take an hour..
- Once the onions are done, add garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper..
- Deglaze pot with wine and vinegar. Add stock. Bring to the boil – reduce heat and simmer for a further 1/2 hour. Check and adjust seasoning if needed..
- Now to get croutons ready. Heat oven to 160*C. Slice French stick. Grate mozzarella and Parmesan over bread. Grate extra cheese to add to soup..
- Bake until golden brown an cheese has melted. Remove and set aside..
- Serve soup in a bowl with a sprinkle of cheese and top with croutons. Yum!.
But. it does take patience to make. It is so worth every single second of the time. Caramelized onions simmered in a deep, rich beef stock, and topped with crusty bread or croutons and gooey cheese. This is the quickest and best french onion soup I've ever tasted! French onion soup (French: soupe à l'oignon [sup a lɔɲɔ̃]) is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served gratinéed with croutons or a larger piece of bread covered with.